Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

About 2 years ago I had an allergic reaction to Metronidazole

About 2 years ago I had an allergic reaction to Metronidazole tablets whereby by lips swelled up and I had to take anti-histamine. I have now been given Amoxicillin for a similar tooth complaint and I am fearful of taking them in case the same reaction happens.
Is this likely?
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.

The amoxicillin is chemically very different than the metronidazole, so a previous allergic reaction to the metronidazole does not indicate an increased risk for an allergic reaction to amoxicillin.

It is possible that someone could be allergic to both antibiotics, but there is no increased risk of a allergy to amoxicillin because of the prior reaction to metronidazole.

It is also likely that you have taken amoxicillin or a another penicillin derivative antibiotic in the past, and if you did not react to the penicillin derivative antibiotic in the past, then the risk of allergy with this course would be very low.

There is a risk of allergy with any drug, but the risk in this situation would be very low, and there is no reason for you to be fearful of taking the amoxicillin.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.