Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

My elbow is very sore I only have to touch it or just rest

My elbow is very sore I only have to touch it or just rest in on a arm of a chair and I get a very stinging pain and some times when I straighten it it feels like I am puling a plaster of my skin but this pain is in my elbow joint some were. When I poke it with my finger I get no discomfort but I feel some jelly type stuff.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.

It will help if you could provide some further information.

Is the only area of tenderness over the point of the elbow?
Or is there also tenderness over the side of the elbow?
Does it hurt to move the elbow, bending or extending?
How long has this been bothering you?
Have you tried any medicine for this?
Are you taking any chronic medicines?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes it hurts to extend this is when I get the ripping a plaster off pain and I have no other pain in my elbow other than this I have had this for about six weeks but it seems to be getting worse I am type 2 diabetic and I take levothyroxine sodium for under active thyroid and I take no pain relief

Thank you for the additional information.

There are several issues to consider in this situation.

The most common cause of these symptoms is from inflammation in the elbow. It is also possible that there could be inflammation in a bursa, but the elbow is more common.

In addition, the swelling associated with the inflammation is likely pressing on the nerve that passes over the point of the elbow, the ulnar nerve. This nerve is in a vulnerable spot and is the “funny bone” that causes symptoms when bumped. The nerve also passes through a tunnel, the cubital tunnel, and chronic inflammation can cause dysfunction of the nerve at the point that it passes through this tunnel. Most people have heard of carpal tunnel syndrome at the wrist, and a similar problem can arise called cubital tunnel syndrome. Since it has only been present for 6 weeks, it usually would not yet be causing nerve dysfunction, but ongoing problems may result in weakness in the two smallest fingers along with numbness in this portion of the hand.

At this point, it is reasonable to use an oral anti-inflammatory medicine to relieve inflammation, such as the over the counter ibuprofen or naproxen. If a short course of an anti-inflammatory medicine results in resolution of these symptoms, then no further evaluation or treatment is necessary. If the symptoms persist, then it may need stronger prescription medicine, and possibly a steroid injection. If it progresses to cause weakness or numbness in the hand, it also may be necessary to do a procedure to relieve the pressure on the nerve.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience: Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.