DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

Hello, I have a concern in regards ***** ***** 18 months son. My

Customer Question

Hello, I have a concern in regards ***** ***** 18 months son. My son was diagnosed with cleft palate few months ago (when he was 6 months) and then had undergone a surgery to repair the cleft palate when he was 11 months. The surgery went well and it has been repaired. However, the problem now is that he is not being able to have adequate sleep especially due to the fact that he has to wake up in the night. He has severe snoring when he sleeps and it has been going on for a long time. Before I felt that the problem will vanish with time however, with time the problem is becoming more problematic. Also, he has had a runny nose for a long time. We went to the doctor before and the doctor just prescribed him with an anti-histamine as he thought it was possibly due to allergy. However, with the anti-histamine the problem is not being solved. I have also use a humidifier but I am not sure if that is working. I have also elevated him when he sleeps by 2 pillows, but the snoring and the disturbed sleep is still prevalent.
It is very difficult as I feel this will eventually affect his development, health and education with time since he is not being able to have good amount of sleep and of-course that affects myself too. Can you please help me in this and so I can further clarify myself and seek my action plan.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
First he needs to see an otolaryngologist.
It is possible he has another surgical issue.
More likely, however, is that there is a chronic sinus inflammation, or a bronchospasm.
A quick CT scan can check the sinuses...it takes about 3 minutes to do.
The doctor also needs to consider inhaler treatment as a test to see if this helps, along with office spirometry as feasible.
OK, so that is an initial answer….
Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Can I ask what other surgical issues it could be?

Furthermore, We have been to en ENT specialist and he seems to not find anything yet and he says just keep an eye on the child and monitor him carefully. But the problem is increasing day by day. What other remedies would you consider in order to especially help in have a decent sleep?

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
I can not tell about the cleft palate repair without exam, and the space in his throat needs to be looked at.
If the problem is increasing, and the ENT has cleared him, then I suggest, as above, a CT of the sinuses, testing for bronchospasm. The GP can do both.
I suggest NO remedies until there is a diagnosis.
This is not self help or home treatment as a situation.
ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok, I will come back to you if I need to ask you any other questions. Could it be possibly due to enlarged adenoids or tonsils by the way?

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
The ENT would not have cleared him if that were the case. That is why I suggested ENT.
An ENT would have ruled out enlarged tonsils or adenoids.
If he has those, yes, this can be causing the problem.
Please do NOT forget a positive rating, or we don't get paid by JA.
Find me as needed.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
Make sure you also discuss the possibility of reflux [acid reflux] with his doctors as well.
please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I see okay... I will have a look at that too.

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
Good luck
Please do not forget the rating.
Come back as needed.
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience: Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am a bit hesitant on getting a CT scan done for my child this young? is it safe and okay?

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
It is extremely brief, and almost no radiation, if needed, it is safe.