IMDR06
IMDR06, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine Physician and HIV Physician
37530465

Hi, this is a general life question

Customer Question

Hi, this is a general life question about my 31 year old son. He purports to having a particularly high libido. He has been quite ill recently for the last three years with schitzo-affective which was freshly diagnosed around that time. He has been on medication that has made him very tired over that period. He complains that he has not had enough sex during this time although having 5-6 partners over this period. Lasting from just a few days to several weeks in duration. He wants to know if he is doing anything wrong here. I.E. He expresses interest in a long ted relationship, something more substantial but says he enjoys his freedom as well. In fact he says he has lived his whole life this way sleeping with maybe over 20 partners this way, while only ever really having two relationship lasting 6 months each. He says he does have not enough contact or social time to find new partners and does not feel as free as he was in previous younger years. He wonders if he should have more intimate contact and how to do this, how to go about it. He says he needs more experience but does not know where to start. Wondering if his patterns are anything out of the norm.....

Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  IMDR06 replied 2 years ago.
Schizoaffective disorder can present with many different symptoms, one of them being a percieved high libido. Poor decision making choices do not help his situation either. May I ask, what is the name of his medication and do you feel his schizoaffective is well controlled?
Dr. Sciberras
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your response.

He was taking risperidone for 2 and a half years and just switched to another med starting with an A- its a new med and i'm not sure of name. The switch was due to him putting on a lot of weight and feeling very, very tired most of the time which lead to depression [ feeling that doing anything active led to exhaustion in a few minutes]. Because of feeling that his life was over [ he was first diagnosed half way through a university degree] - things have improved dramatically since stopping the risperidone because he has energy now without taking adderal [ which he was taking for ADD]. That was replaced with vivance at a lower dosage to address the energy.

Please tell me exactly what you mean by poor decision making choices. There are times when he i under stress that i do not feel his meds are controlling symptoms well because he can become aggression toward family members and its very challenging.

Are you saying that that the libido is only "perceived " and not real?

Is there a reason associated with Schizoaffective disorder that he is unable to develop the long term relationship he yearns for? It is always him that terminates because he finds relationship stressful. is there a therapy that can improve this? Do you know any one with his disorder that successfully completes a degree? That is the other yearning he has. Many thanks for your time.