Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

Hi Doctor, I woke up this morning with a pretty severe pain

Hi Doctor,
I woke up this morning with a pretty severe pain in my middle back. I thought it was just the way I slept and that it would disappear once I got up and started moving around but it has gotten worse. I cannot bend down without pain and the pain seems to be travelling to my right hand side slightly especially if I twist my body in any way. I tried to lie down for a little while on my side but that was also painful. I have had minor back pain before but nothing like this. Have you any idea as to what it may be and can you recommend anything to help.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi. No problem with your neck? What did you mean by your right hand side?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I did get a crick on my neck last week but it disappeared. There is no pain there now. I mean the right hand side of my abdomen..

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK Elaine. Any abdominal tenderness or nausea?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No doctor, nothing like that at all

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK Elaine. Two possibilities here. I think the most likely one is a kidney stone that typically causes severe back pain that radiates into the abdomen and sometimes down towards the groin. The less likely possibility would be that you've ruptured a disk in your thoracic spine. Considering the severity of the pain you need to get either to the ER or to an urgent care center for an exam, a urinalysis, a ct scan of the abdomen and pelvis and possibly an MRI of your thoracic and lumbar spine. I really wouldn't advise you to take a wait and see approach to this in the hopes that it will be better tomorrow
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok thank you doctor for your reply. Are these the only two main strong possibilities as to what it could be?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Those are the two most likely Elaine. A penetrating peptic ulcer can cause abdominal and back pain but from what you've told me that isn't very likely. Please let me know how it goes and remember to rate my service to you