Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

I have a swollen abdomen. In my early twenties I was diagnosed

I have a swollen abdomen. In my early twenties I was diagnosed with adhesions. In my early 30s I was diagnosed with IBS. Recently I have been diagnosed with diverticulitis. I am a 55 woman. I am post menopausal. The menopause went fine. I am overweight. I have pre-diabetes. I do not smoke. I do not take drugs. I do not drink alcohol. I have mental illnesses.- depression, anxiety, ME, Post-traumatic stress syndrome and conversion disorder. I am in constant pain/discomfort (emotional and physical). I am unable to work. I have no family nor friends for support. I am worried about my colon. I have not been able to move my bowels effectively for several weeks. I do experience wind and occasionally a very tiny motion. I fear that the food that I eat and not being eliminated from my body is causing my colon to swell to become very large. I fear that I have developed mega-colon. I have been taking laxatives prescribed by my GP to no avail. I asked for a sigmoidoscopy from my GP a couple of months ago but he said it would be cruel to me to do it. I was sexually abused as a child and am very sensitive about my body. The stool analysis in the spring was fine. The ultrasound test in the spring was fine - it looked at kidneys and liver and surrounding area but not the colon. He also my GP won't do anything for the pre-diabetes because he said he'd leave for 3 - 4 months before he would want to diagnose diabetes. I feel frustrated that I cannot pass a proper motion. I fear that before long I shall develop peritonitis. I am very worried about this. I would value your opinion on this matter. I am prescribed amitriptyline but don't take it.
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Phil, MD :

Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing internist. Excellent service is my goal.

Dr. Phil, MD :

please enter chat

Dr. Phil, MD :

Hi I'm Dr. Phil

Dr. Phil, MD :

Can I ask your first name?

Customer:

Charlotte

Dr. Phil, MD :

Hi Charlotte

Dr. Phil, MD :

nice to meet you

Dr. Phil, MD :

I'm very sorry about all your pain

Dr. Phil, MD :

that is terrible

Customer:

Dr. Phil, MD :

you're welcome Charlotte :)

Dr. Phil, MD :

have you ever had a colonoscopy?

Customer:

No

Dr. Phil, MD :

okay

Dr. Phil, MD :

at 55 you should have

Dr. Phil, MD :

in the US, you would have had one at age 50 for screening purposes

Dr. Phil, MD :

so I agree with you 100%

Dr. Phil, MD :

you need a scope

Customer:

But how do I manage to get one

Dr. Phil, MD :

you could ask your GP

Dr. Phil, MD :

or go private

Customer:

But my GPs are reluctant to refer me for anything. I turn up to the surgery too many times. They don't believe me.

Dr. Phil, MD :

I see

Dr. Phil, MD :

but a scope is standard of care

Dr. Phil, MD :

even for screening purposes

Dr. Phil, MD :

a normal person with no symptoms should have had a scope by now

Customer:

I agree with you but I don't understand why I cant't have one.

Dr. Phil, MD :

I don't either. I'm sorry.

Customer:

I am stressed about this.

Dr. Phil, MD :

I'm sorry :(

Dr. Phil, MD :

I know you are

Dr. Phil, MD :

I can tell you though that I don't see any alarm symptoms

Dr. Phil, MD :

so I think you are probably fine

Dr. Phil, MD :

but you do need a scope

Customer:

I find change difficult. I have been to this GP surgery for more than 20 years. One thing I could do would be to change GP surgery. Do you think that this would be a good idea?

Dr. Phil, MD :

yes, I do

Dr. Phil, MD :

sometimes a fresh set of eyes is needed

Customer:

Although difficult I think this is what I shall do. Thank you.

Dr. Phil, MD :

welcome :)

Dr. Phil, MD :

Any more questions for me Charlotte ?

Customer:

OK I think that this is the answer to my question. Thank you.

Dr. Phil, MD :

welcome :)

Dr. Phil, MD :

did I do excellent work for you today?

Customer:

Yes

Dr. Phil, MD :

thank you

Dr. Phil, MD :

would you be so kind as to rate positive before leaving?

I appreciate the excellent rating.

I would be happy to help you in the future. Just ask for feedback. Thank you. :) Dr. Phil in your question opening or bookmark this page http://www.justanswer.co.uk/medical/expert-irondoc/

I greatly appreciate a positive rating in the customer satisfaction survey that you will receive via email. It is important for me to get your feedback. Thank you. :)