Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

Hello doc.. A question for you.. I asked this earlier today

Hello doc.. A question for you.. I asked this earlier today but you were offline, just want your opinion on it.. Last night when I went to sleep and was lying on my right hand side my left nstrl kept leaking lots of watery fluid, I had to keep going and blowing it out, this only happened when I lay on my right.. As well as this the all my teeth mainly on the top right of my jaw felt very sensitive.. But the pain subsided when I lay down.. Also my eye sockets were hurting.. So what do you reckon?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi. This only happened the one night?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes.. Just lastnight
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Sorry for the delay guy--site problems. This liquid was perfectly clear? How are your doing right now?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm ok now.. Yes it was watery and clear.. I thought it was sinusitis because of the pain in the eye sockets and upper teeth pain.. My nose has been blocked for the past few days and I have been using a decongestant spray.. Anyway my mind started thinking of the worst and thought it was a CSF leak so I went to A&E and had a CT scan.. Results were : normal intracranial appearances, no skull bone or calvarial fracture, mucosal thickening in the right maxillary antrum
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Just one question here--what made you think it was a CSF leak?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Just the way it leaked, clear and watery like a dripping tap.. Usually if I've had anything from the nose it's a little thicker in appearance .. What would you have thought it was?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
I was just wondering how you knew about CSF leaking from the nose and what it looked like. Without a major blow to the head--usually the frontal bone, nose, and the orbits, we never see a leak since it takes a skull fracture in the sinuses, the orbits, or the base of the skull for that to happen. I would have told you it was just a sinus leak--probably something like allergic rhinitis.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Oh ok.. I've picked up a lot of medical knowledge over the years and jump to the worst case scenario when it comes to symptoms eg like my leaky nose.. I know the ct has confirmed that theres no fracture but you really think it could just be a sinus issue and nothing worse?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Nothing worse my friend and always remember a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I agree.. Sometimes I wish I didn't know so much.. So the sensitive teeth, eye pain both linked to leak?. Can sinus fluid be totally watery and clear?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Yes if it's just an allergy and not an infection. The mucosal thickening is where the fluid is coming from
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ah ok that was my next question.. The mucosal thickening is in the right maxillary antrum, but it was my left nostril that was filling up
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Sorry--missed that. Nevertheless that means allergies and it must be affecting you left sinus too
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
That mucosal thickening in the right maxillary sinus was picked up back in 2012 too.. It might have something to do with the septoplasty I had a few years ago.. They had to clear one of the sinuses at the time because it was just complety full or blocked, they called it FESS I think
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Well, all the same, you don't need to worry about this my friend
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok well I don't want to have to worry about this on top of everything else ive worried about recently.., if it had been a CSF leak it wouldnt have resolved itself this quickly would it? It would still be leaking wouldnt it?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Worthless hypothetical my friend--it isn't a leak--you have no skull fracture. But just to answer, no, it would still be a problem at this point
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Lol ok thanks.. I probably wouldnt have gone for a ct scan if I had chatted to you earlier today .. I think I just panicked and went
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
That's OK
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks doc, you on here for a few more hours yet?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
For another six hours or so
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok good night for now .. And thanks.. Defo not a CSF leak?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Absolutely not