Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have terrible pain in both my calves making it almost unbearable

Customer Question

I have terrible pain in both my calves making it almost unbearable to walk. It isn't cramp but it feels like they are both so tight they could go into cramp at any time. I have had these symptoms for at least a week. I do not do exercise as I am disabled with arthritis so I haven't torn any muscles. Could you please advise me? Thank you
Denyse Hale
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Shahzad MD :

Hi there. Thank you for your question. I will be helping you out with your queries

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Since how long are you having this problem?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Have you been seen for this?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Do you have any other medical problems?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Are you on any medications for anything?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Please let me know.

Expert:  Dr. SH replied 2 years ago.

I would appreciate it if you could provide me more information on the questions that I have asked above.
Please do not rate me for my services until you have received an answer.
Kindest regards

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I've sent you the rest of the information you wanted
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Other.
Still haven't had an answer
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
I notice that you have relisted the question.
You said that you have provided the rest of the information, but I do not see whether you are taking any medicines for any medical problem.
Are you on any chronic medicines?
For example, are you taking any medicines for the arthritis?
I have not heard back about what medicines you are taking.

There are several possibilities to consider when someone has pain and tightness in the muscles of both calves.

It could be an inflammation affecting the muscles. One of the reasons for asking about medicines is that many of the medicines that treat inflammation in arthritis will also treat inflammation of muscles.

It could be related to vascular disease, as poor blood flow to the legs will usually first cause symptoms in the muscles of the calves.

It is also possible to develop muscle disease as a side effect to certain medicines, which is another reason for asking what medicines are being taken. For example, common medicines used to lower cholesterol, the statins, can cause a disease of the muscles, called myopathy. The severity of the myopathy can vary significant from minor muscle aches to severe breakdown of muscle tissue that can cause systemic problems, such as affecting kidney function.

It is also possible to get muscle symptoms related to certain systemic conditions, such as thyroid disease.

It is also important to note that the fact that you are unable to exercise does not preclude the possibility of a tear of the muscle, as people that are inactive also do not have good muscle strength, so can injure a muscle with relatively minor exertion, such as rapidly getting up from a sitting position. However, it is unusual to develop a tear in both calves at the same time.

Ultimately, it would require a proper evaluation to determine the exact cause. Until you can be seen, it would be reasonable to be taking an anti-inflammatory medicine, if not already taking one. A couple are available over the counter - ibuprofen and naproxen. It also would be appropriate to use local modalities, such as ice and moist heat.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service and a complete answer. If I can provide any further information, please let me know. If I have answered your question, please remember to provide a positive rating so that I am credited for assisting you.