Dr. Robert
Dr. Robert, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician
8493425

my wife has been diagnosed with multiple mini strokes, she

Customer Question

my wife has been diagnosed with multiple mini strokes, she is on medication blood thinners and statins, this was all from a collapse on 27th December 2013, she has stopped smoking as of 1st January 2014 on consultants advice, but I am worried about her drinking, she drinks about on average 1 - 2 bottles of wine a day, I myself have stopped my drinking of the same amounts in July this year, she is well over weight, is she in a position of suffering a major stroke, as I am so worried for her?? we have both suffered a lot of stress this year through loss of business which resulted in us having to sell the house to down size into a massinette ??
Expert:  Dr. Robert replied 3 years ago.
Dear customer
Welcome to justanswer.com and thank you for your question.
I'm so sorry to hear of your wife's discomfort. I will do whatever I can to help answer your questions:
Following are the risk factors for developing blockage in arteries or stroke:
-High cholesterol levels
-High blood pressure & Diabetes
-Cigarette smoking & drinking alcohol
-Being overweight
-Fatty diet
-Lack of exercise and
-Family history
Although your wife is taking blood thinners and statins,but as she is still drinking alcohol,is well over weight & history of mini strokes,I am sorry to say that but yes,she is having risk factor for heart disease or stroke.
Following will help her to reduce the level of risk & stay healthy:
Restrict salt intake .
-Drink plenty of water.
-Limit alcohol
-As she is well overweight,she need to loose weight.
-Maintain your blood glucose & lipid levels
As you both suffered a lot of stress this year through loss of business,my advise is to think positive,Engage in mild activity or exercise.Do relaxation exercises. These involve 10 to 20 minutes of deep breathing and muscle relaxation.
And take the medications regularly as prescribed.
Hope this helped.
My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.
Thank you *****
Dr. Robert