Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

Hi, I was in a store earlier and bought some wrapping paper.

I was in a store earlier and bought some wrapping paper. As the assistant rolled up the paper to put it in the bag she got a paper cut on the side of her hand from the paper (I couldn't see how deep it was, other than she put the cut in her mouth as I walked away from the till). She then put the wrapping paper and card that I had bought into a carrier bag and passed them to me as well as the receipt. After I had left the store I rubbed the inside of my nose, having touhced the carrier bag that she had touched. Is there any chance I could have caught HIV or Hepatitis from this encounter?
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 2 years ago.
Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing internist. Excellent service is my goal.
Thanks for this question
This is very very unlikely to transmit HIV this way. In fact, virtually impossible
Even if you get stuck with a bloody needle from an HIV infected person, the risk is 3/1000. So you can imagine how astronomically low the risk is here.
Also, hepatitis risk is very low as well.
Truthfully, unless you get symptoms you should be fine. I wouldn't worry about it
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

If there was going to be a problem how quickly would I experience the symptoms you mention?

within 2-3 weeks in most cases
I appreciate the good rating.

I would be happy to help you in the future. Just ask for feedback. Thank you. :) Dr. Phil in your question opening or bookmark this page http://www.justanswer.co.uk/medical/expert-irondoc/

I greatly appreciate a positive rating in the customer satisfaction survey that you will receive via email. It is important for me to get your feedback. Thank you. :)