Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

what should I do about an angiomyolipoma on my right kidney,

what should I do about an angiomyolipoma on my right kidney, which is 4cm?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi. How exactly was this diagnosed?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I had a ct scan after an ultra sound for pain in my abdomen and blood in my urine. I also had a cystoscopy after which I was told there was no reason for blood in my urine but I'm not convinced I was seen adequately. I was told 'some people have blue eyes, some people have brown eyes and some people have this' I know that it has been there for less than 16 months as I didn't have it when I gave birth. I had to delivery by ec as my kidneys were failing due to hyperemesis but I feel this hasn't been ackowledged this time around and I wonder if there minght be some permanent damage to my kidneys as I always have back pain similar to that which i had at the end of my pregnancy.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK. Has your kidney function been checked recently?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes but results are not back yet. I requested this yesterday but I don't have confidence in my doctor and I might ask for a copy of the results myself to check them

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK We can continue after this if you'd like. Angiomyolipomas are totally benign and in general they don't require any treatment like surgical excision and they don't cause any symptoms. Certainly this isn't the cause for the blood in your urine or all your other symptoms.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

what could be causing the other symptoms then and could the angiomyolipoma not be causing the back pain? Can you advise what I should do next?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
No the angiomyolipoma wouldn't cause back pain. Can you tell me more about that?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

it is in the kidney area. Can you tell me any more about low b12?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Have you had an MRI of your spine? How low is your B12 and how is that being treated?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

it is not been treated and it has been low about 4 months that i know of. I had the blood tests repeated every month. Also what could be the cause of the blood in the urine. I know it's not infection and is blood in the urine ever just 'one of those things' or is there always a reason for it?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK. You're asking a lot more questions than just your original question so I'll answer those but after this I'd ask you to rate my service to you and then if you have more questions you can open a new page using the link above my photo and I'll be glad to continue. Most likely you have a B 12 absorption problem and if that's the case you need B 12 injections to bring your level back up and the deficiency could account for your itching and tingling and you may also be anemic from the deficiency. You seem to have had all the proper studies for the blood in your urine and sometimes at that point it is appropriate to say that it just happens and it isn't something that needs to be treated. As for your back pain it could be a disk problem and I would get an MRI of your spine to look for that
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience: 20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.