Dr. Charogat
Dr. Charogat, Doctor
Experience:  Licensed in both NYS and NJ with experience in surgery and medicine.
16403115

I was involved in a car accident about 10/11 years ago whereby

I was involved in a car accident about 10/11 years ago whereby I rolled a minibus. Luckily I came out unscathed, but I did whack my elbow hard against the side window which was checked at the time but no visible injury was apparent. The trouble is, whenever I bang my elbow now I get a lot of pain for days afterwards. I know the elbow is a 'funny bone' but I'm wondering whether I need to get it checked again?
Expert:  Dr. Charogat replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Charogat :

Hi, and thank you for coming to JustAnswer.com with your question.

Dr. Charogat :

The elbow does (as you said) contain a nerve that when struck can cause pain (ie funny bone), BUT that pain should last for a few minutes at most.

Dr. Charogat :

It is possible that there is some small abnormality due to the accident that can be causing this.

Dr. Charogat :

I think it is something you should check out, but it does not sound like something that is urgent.

Dr. Charogat :

Does this help?
Can I give you any further information?

Customer:

Yes, didn't think it was urgent, but didn't want to waste valuable time for my doctor! Thanks, ***** ***** to be sure of something before running for medical help!

Dr. Charogat :

If you were my relative I'd probably tell you not to bother unless it is causing major problems for you.

Dr. Charogat :

Does this hep? Or do you have further questions? I want to make sure to give you excellent service.

Customer:

Just a few days of discomfort and pain when lent on when I do hit it (which seems be happen a lot!!!)

Dr. Charogat :

I'm trying to go through what the treatment might be if there is something not perfect. Give me a minute while I just try to think through all options. (If there is no treatment then why waste your time getting a diagnosis?)

Dr. Charogat :

Customer:

This is true! Probably not much can be done though. A friend said they discovered a small chip in a similar situation which hadn't been noticed at the time. Once the chip had been removed all was ok! That's what made me question my situation - I've had it for over 10 years now after all!!!

Dr. Charogat :

I've just looked through a book, and gone through in my head, anything that would be done for your problem. There is a possibility that on an imaging study they could find something, but even if they did find it, and even if it was something "fixable" (I can't think of what this would be), then it would still mean a surgery with pins and plates.

Dr. Charogat :

I was thinking exactly the same as your friend said. If it is a big chip then it would not be too hard to find, but a small one can necessitate surgery that would be equivalent to finding a needle in a haystack.

Customer:

Think they were lucky - it was 'floating around' she said and was removed through keyhole!

Dr. Charogat :

wow... yep - that would be lucky :)

Dr. Charogat :

Is there more I can help with? I want to make sure you feel you have received excellent service.

Customer:

Oh well, it hasn't caused lack of use in my arm, so until I have anything major, I'll probably live with the discomfort!! (it can give in on me on the odd occasion if weight is on it, but I don't use my arms to walk!!! Lol) Anyway, thank you for all your help and advice.

Dr. Charogat :

:)

Dr. Charogat :

Happy to help.

Dr. Charogat :

Please know that even after you've paid you can continue to send follow-up questions without a further charge. It might take me a bit longer to see them, but I will at some point.

Dr. Charogat :

G-d Bless

Customer:

Ok. Thank you.

Dr. Charogat, Doctor
Experience: Licensed in both NYS and NJ with experience in surgery and medicine.