Dr. Charogat
Dr. Charogat, Doctor
Experience:  Licensed in both NYS and NJ with experience in surgery and medicine.
16403115

i am suffering vertigo and nausea

Customer Question

i am suffering vertigo and nausea
Expert:  Dr. Charogat replied 2 years ago.
Dr.Customer:

Hi, and thank you for coming to JustAnswer.com with your question.

Dr.Customer:

Can you please give me more information?

Dr.Customer:

For how long has this been going on

JACUSTOMER-voynncuf- :

a few days

Dr.Customer:

Can you describe the pressure in your head?

Dr.Customer:

does anything make it better or worse?

Dr.Customer:

Have you seen a doctor about this yet?

Dr.Customer:

My concern is about the possibility that this is something quite urgent.

JACUSTOMER-voynncuf- :

the pressure seems to move around ... sometimes on the top... sometimes the back

JACUSTOMER-voynncuf- :

i have an appointment today at 5;30

JACUSTOMER-voynncuf- :

laying down i get the vertigo.... or bending over... sitting upright seems to be ok

Dr.Customer:

If there is any kind of pressure (actually measurable, not just that it feels like it) that would be very concerning and needs to be checked out right away. If there is pressure in your head (again, actually) and you are nauseated (which can be a sign of pressure in the brain) then it is even more urgent.

Dr.Customer:

If there is no pressure in your brain then the next thing I would think about is that you might have either an otolith (I'll explain in a minute), or an inner ear infection.

Dr.Customer:

The inner ear is made up of tubes called labyrinths. In these labyrinths there is a special fluid. This fluid pushes against cells in the inner ear and those signals tell your brain what position you are in (upright, laying down etc) Sometimes the fluid can make a stone called an otolith. When this happens the cells are activated in a different way and this causes vertigo (because your eyes see one thing, but your inner ear - having cells pushed by the otolith - feel something different).

Dr.Customer:

There are treatments for otoliths that include trying to break them up (non-invasive).

Dr.Customer:

If it is an inner ear infection, once again those cells get pushed in an abnormal way and would give you the same feeling. This would be treated with antibiotics.

JACUSTOMER-voynncuf- :

so i should ask the doctor for a letter to go to the eye and ear hospital

JACUSTOMER-voynncuf- :

after of course telling her everything else

JACUSTOMER-voynncuf- :

i do feel i slight nigling in my right ear...

Dr.Customer:

Your doctor should look into your eyes (most likely in a darkened room) where, if there is pressure, he might be able to see bulging of the optic nerves (at the back of your eye).

Dr.Customer:

S/he will also do some testing to see if it is an otolith, or infection.

JACUSTOMER-voynncuf- :

would an ear infection cause head pain?

Dr.Customer:

It could. Especially if there is an infection.

Dr.Customer:

Does this help?

Dr.Customer:

Please know that even after you've paid me you can come back with follow-up questions free of charge.

Dr.Customer:

You can also come back to discuss your doctor's findings.

Dr.Customer:

Did you have any further questions?

Dr.Customer:

The computer will only allow me to stop the timer for a certain amount of time.

Dr.Customer:

In 5 minutes it will prompt you to pay more for more time.

JACUSTOMER-voynncuf- :

thank you ... i just finished reading the link you sent which was a good read

Dr.Customer:

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

JACUSTOMER-voynncuf- :

so i feel better to know something that might be going on....

Dr.Customer:

I hope I have given you excellent service.

Dr.Customer:

:)

JACUSTOMER-voynncuf- :

hate going to the doctor empty headed

Dr.Customer:

I know what you mean.... sort of how I feel when I go into speak with my son's teachers :)

JACUSTOMER-voynncuf- :

ok for now brenda

Dr.Customer:

G-d Bless

Dr. Charogat, Doctor
Experience: Licensed in both NYS and NJ with experience in surgery and medicine.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

had the doctor appt. ..... was in for literally 5 minutes and out of pocket 60 euro

i told her i was experiencing vertigo.... for a few days

d- have you ever had b4

me- yes in the summer a few days

i also am feeling a lot of pressure in my head, that moves around, i am also quite nautious....

d- does blood pressure, looks at throat, puts ? in ear - one second

other ear one second.... takes heart ? places it in four places... with the routine that is impossible that she could move that quickly and actually hear anything

you probably have vertigo

and a sinus infection

here is a prescription for the vertigo and an antibiotic for the sinus infection.... that should stop the headaches too

me- i don't really have headaches.... its more like a pressure

d- take these 3 times a day, have you ever had this vertigo before

me- yes a few days in the summer

end of session.....

The fact that you've had it before and recovered without treatment make it sound most like BPV (that you read about earlier). I am not at all comfortable with your doctor's treatment.

There is no way to get a good blood pressure reading in a few seconds.

She needs to look into your eyes to make sure you don't have bulging optic nerves. (Even though it sounds most like BPV a doctor NEEDS to rule out something more serious.)

While a sinus infection can cause just pressure, that is pretty unusual. Here in the USA we would absolutely NOT give antibiotics for a sinus issue like you describe. Antibiotics are only for bacterial infections!

I don't know how medical care works where you are, so I don't know where to send you, but I think the first thing (especially if this is a clinic and not a private practice) is to call and ask to be seen by another doctor without incurring further fees. If they insist on charging you again I think you should pay and then complain to the governing body (in the US we have the Better Business Association, and also medical boards) and ask to have the fee refunded to you.

G-d Bless

I'm leaving the computer now and might not be back on until tomorrow morning, but I'll be sure to be checking for an answer from you!

(What I haven't added because I'm concerned about this and don't want to cover it up -- diphenhydramine or scopolamine can sometimes decrease vertigo).

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thank you..... i am not comfortable with how she was so disengaged and so ready to write a prescription..... hmmm .....

so yes i will go back to the clinic tomorrow and seek a further diagnosis with another doctor.....and ask not to be charged... lets see how that sits with them...

I hope your second opinion goes much better than your first!
Please keep me updated, and of course, follow-up questions are not charged again.

G-d Bless
Just wanted to follow up to see how you are feeling.