Dr. Charogat
Dr. Charogat, Doctor
Experience:  Licensed in both NYS and NJ with experience in surgery and medicine.
16403115

My grand-daughter has to get grommets fitted to help her hearing

My grand-daughter has to get grommets fitted to help her hearing - she also has water in ear. Consultant suggested ananoides to be removed at same time but my daughter in law unsure this should be done. I would appreciate your views please. My grand-daughter is 5 years old.
Expert:  Dr. Charogat replied 3 years ago.
Dr. Charogat :

Hi, and thank you for coming to JustAnswer.com with your question.

Dr. Charogat :

You mention your grand daughter's noisy sleeping. That makes me wonder if she has large tonsils as well as large adenoids.

Dr. Charogat :

The two surgeries are unrelated (though large tonsils/adenoids can technically cause an increase in pressure in the ear - and maybe that is why the doctor suggested that surgery).

Dr. Charogat :

The other issue is that putting anyone under general anesthesia puts them at risk, and if two things have to be done that can be dealt with under one general anesthesia then often that is preferable

Dr. Charogat :

I was just looking at the latest literature while waiting for you to come back online.

Dr. Charogat :

Taking out the adenoids, with or without taking out the tonsills, does not appear to be an effective prevention for children with recurrent ear infection.

Dr. Charogat :

The only time that the adenoids are taken out at the same time as the grommets are put in si if the adenoids have moderate to severe nasal obstruction.

Dr. Charogat :

In a very small study of 217 children there was no difference in the incidence of ear infections (after surgery) in the two groups. (These children were divided into children who had both procedures at once, and children who only had the grommets).

Dr. Charogat :

These studies are talking about children who have not had previous grommets placed.

Dr. Charogat :

It seems that you are offline. I will change this to a question/answer form so that you are not prompted to pay more.

Dr. Charogat :

I hope I have earned a rating of "excellent service". If not please let me know what further information you need in order to give me that rating.

Dr. Charogat :

Please know that once switched to the question/answer session there are no additional charges for questions before or after you have paid.

Dr. Charogat :

G-d Bless

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.