Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

When I go on holiday after a flight I find that my ankles are

Customer Question

When I go on holiday after a flight I find that my ankles are pretty swollen, and this continues for a week or so after the flight. I wear compression stockings I bought in Italy after this first happens. What else can I do to alleviate this problem. I have high blood pressure that is controlled by Atenalol and also take a statin at night.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
It will help if you could provide some further information.
There are two types of compression stockings available, either made as a medical supply or made by clothing companies that also incorporate compression. Which type of compression stockings do you have?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I bought these full length tights in Italy because of my problem, from the chemist in the town where I was staying. I suspect that they were probably the clothing type rather than fully medical, as they were not too expensive. You are right, I probably need proper compression stockings.Would knee length ones be OK do you think?

There are several interventions that may help in this situation.

Yes, medical compression stockings are better than those that are made for clothing. Since the swelling is in the ankles, knee high compression stockings would be appropriate.

During the flight, it is appropriate to get out of your seat and walk as much as is possible. It would be good to limit salt intake for a couple days prior to the flight, as this may help with swelling from any cause. There also is a supplement that may help with venous circulation, called horse chestnut, that can be started a couple days before the flight and continued throughout the holiday.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you so much for your reply.

Yes, of course it would be a good idea to limit salt intake before I go - I never thought of that! And I will try to do the exercise on the plane.

You mention horse chestnut - that is new to me; can I get it at the chemist? I already have pretty poor circulation, and so I think that this is one of the reasons, It is really nice to be able to ask a doctor for advice.I used to be married to a GP, but sadly my husband is dead now. WE miss him a lot as a family when it comes to diagnosing various sporting bone injuries etc. - he specialised in orthopaedics! Of course we miss him anyway!!.

Thank you for your help, Dr. Love.

Christine Nixon

The horse chestnut is an herbal supplement. It can be obtained at a chemist shop if they stock herbal supplements, but in the US, it is easier to find the horse chestnut at a health food store.