Ken
Ken, Postgraduate doctor
Experience:  Working as a Doctor who Cares since 2001.
25541092

My Mri showed multilevel moderate cervical degenerative disc

My Mri showed multilevel moderate cervical degenerative disc disease. From c2-3 through to C6-7. Discal bulging, extruding, protrusion and impingement on cord/nerves. I know this explains numbness and pins/needles in my arm. My arm is sometimes useless and I at times can't write as holding a pen feels abnormal.
I've had headaches with right eye vision loss. Blurry eyes.
I also faint at times when standing or on looking up. I've had vertigo for days again worse on looking up or bending down.
I've been spontaneously dropping for months preceded by a fuzzy feeling in my pelvis before a weird feeling travelling down to knees and then I drop..if I try to get up to quickly it happens again. I've had creeping numbness in right leg on and off and my big toes have been moderately numb for months now. I get tremors in my hand. I sweat profusely even just going down the road and sometimes I can't hold my wee usually when all these other symptoms are bad.
My neck has been in spasm for days doc gave me diazepam and I've started gabapentin.
I'm in agony and feel like I'm walking on sprained ankles. My whole back is in agony and I've been housebound with my toddler for days as I don't feel safe to take him out with the woozyness and fear of dropping.
My GP thinks they should mri my thoracic and lumbar spine but the locum consultant (I've not met who I'm under yet) says they don't need to.
I feel disabled
I don't understand how just my cervical spine can cause all this. I feel like nobody is helping me.
I'm 36yr old woman and ms has been ruled out. Do you think they should be doing more tests? I'm on waiting list for physio but gp thinks they will be limited in what they can do because these drop attacks need investigating.
Expert:  Ken replied 2 years ago.
I am Dr Ken and I will be helping you today.
Were any investigations dne apart from cervical spine MRI - blood tests to be specific? Do you have any diagnosed medical condition?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi, I had a lot of blood tests. Apparently all within normal range except red cell distribution width which was 15.

Rhumy diagnosed fibromyalgia but that was before mri was done and all the neurological stuff.

Expert:  Ken replied 2 years ago.
Gemma,
I agree with you. Abnormality at the cervical spine is not the cause of the all the symptoms. I would get few other investigations like MRI dorsal and lumbar spine/ MRI brain/ blood tests {thyroid, anemia, vitamin deficiency} to get more answers.
If I were you i would get more investigations so that a diagnosis is obraianed.
Till than - have balanced diet, adequate fluid/ avoid alcohol, smoking/ stay away from stress or anxiety {Yoga, meditation help}/ lose excess weight if any/ exercise regularly.
Wish you well.
Best
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi ken, they did brain same time as cervical spine. Brain showed several high signal foci in brain parenchyma but no diagnostic features.

Can I ask what dorsal is?

They said my arm stuff is called radiculopathy but my Gp is worried it may also me myelopathy.

No oedema was seen where the compressing/impingement ect were.

Mri was without contrast do you think contrast would show up more if there is a problem with myelopathy?

Thanks so much for shedding some light on things for me.

Expert:  Ken replied 2 years ago.
Dorsal means Thoracic.
I am happy that MRI Brain did not show any obvious abnormality. I would not worry of hyperintense signals at brain parenchyma. these can be due to varied causes. I would get a follow-up MRI {may be after 6 months} to look for any change in the number or size of these signals. I would prefer contrast enhanced MRI to get more answers. I do not think there is a need for contrast enhanced MRI spine. Plain study would help too.
I assume diabetes, vitamin deficiency were ruled out.
Best
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you, ***** ***** diabetes and vitamin deficiency were ruled out early on.

Thank you for your help