Dr. K.
Dr. K., Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified with experience in primary care.
65718478

Hi I have arthritis in my left knee. I recently had arthroscopic

I have arthritis in my left knee. I recently had arthroscopic on my knee. They washed and tidied it up and removed a large piece of the posterior horn.. I am still having problems 3 months on. I have been revered to physio, which I have been doing before being refereed and also exercises in the pool which I find better to do because there is no weight bearing. I have asked about a partial knee replacement, but was told this was not possible because it was in my knee cap. My question is, Is it not possible to have a partial replacement and a knee replacement done at the same time? Rather than a full knee replacement. I am 54 years old.
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 2 years ago.
Dr. K. :

Hello, this is Dr K.. Answers are not medical advice and do not constitute a doctor/patient relationship. I look forward to helping you today.

Dr. K. :

Hi there. I am not sure what you mean by this question- "Is it possible to have a partial knee replacement and a full knee replacement done at the same time?"

Dr. K. :

If the arthritis or source of pain is the knee cap, a knee replacement does not solve the problem so it is not done.

Customer:

Sorry may be I did not explain myself very well. Is it possible to replace the athritic knee cap and have a partial replacement knee. I only have arthritus in the inner part of my knee

Dr. K. :

Yes its called patello femoral arthroplasty. Not many people are a candidate for it but its an easier recovery. Unfortunately what often happens is that the arthritis progresses then to other parts of the knee after the surgery

Dr. K. :

http://www.arthritisresearchuk.org/arthritis-information/surgery/knee-replacement/different-types/kneecap-replacement.aspx

Dr. K. :

Heres a good link about it, in the UK

Customer:

My right knee has arthritus. The part of the knee that is affected is the inner part of the join and the knee cap. The outer joint of my knee is okay. I asked about a partial replacement and was told this was not possible because of the arthritis in my knee cap. My question is. Why would my arthritis in my knee cap stop a partial replacement. Also my logic says if that's all that's stopping the partial replacement, why can't the knee cap be replaced and a partial replacement of the inner knee be done. Or am I missing something. A knee cap and partial replacement would be better than a complete knee replacement surely.

Dr. K. :

Every situation is different. Your surgeon is evaluating the amount of arthritis in the knee cap and the internal joint. Yes of course he or she could go ahead and do both surgeries. But you might not be better and you might be significantly worse.

Dr. K. :

So yes, both surgeries could be done, but your surgeon has decided after seeing your xrays its not a good choice. Its not simple and cut and dry as you might think. We cant just go in and give everyone a new knee and make things right. Some patients are surgical candidates and others not unfortunately. This is one of those times, that a second opinion can help