Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

My Dad has had several melonomas removed over the last few

My Dad has had several melonomas removed over the last few years & now has a malignant lump in his armpit which has to be removed. His scan shows there are 2 nodules on his lungs which the consultant says have been there some time & can be treated with chemo tablets. My Dad is 76 & sometimes gets confused but won't let anyone attend his appointments with him. I am asking whether these nodules could be serious & all the melonomas/lump/nodules are related?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi. Has the lump in his arm been biopsied? How long have the lung nodules been there?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes the lump has been biopsied & is malignant & surgery is scheduled for next week. The consultant asked to see him before his pre-op today to discuss 2 nodules in his lung. The consultant said they have been there for "some time" but no more specific than that & said they could be cured by chemo tablets.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Claire--is the lump a lymph node? And were any of his melanomas in that same arm?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The lump is on a lymph node or gland I can't remember which. His melonomas have all been on that same side of his body but on his shoulder, back and forehead.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK We can continue after this if you'd like. The lump may be related to one of his melanomas--the one on his shoulder--but it wouldn't be related to the lung nodules. As for those, about 90% of the time these are benign, especially if they've been there for some time and haven't changed over that time. Even if this were lung cancer, it doesn't metastasize to the lymph nodes of the arm pit.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok that's clear thank you. So the nodules & the lump are independent? The consultant must have reason to believe the nodules are malignant as he has offered my Dad chemo tablets & is discussing on Monday with his team whether the op to remove the armpit lump can go ahead for next week.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Yes--the two are not related Claire. I can't really speak further about the nodules just with the information you've given me. The only way to tell if they are malignant would be to do a fine needle aspiration of one of them
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

OK thank you very much

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
My pleasure but keep in touch and please remember to rate my service to you