Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

I am 24 years old I used to be healthy until I got the norovirus

Customer Question

I am 24 years old I used to be healthy until I got the norovirus in 2012 a few weeks later I was rushed into hospital late on a Friday evening and was in hospital for 6 days with gastroenteritis which made me very unwell I am now only starting to get back to normal but I am now lactose intolerant, eating less than normal but I do have an app on my Iphone where I have to put in my age, height and weight and some days I go over the limit of calories I am meant to be having per day as somedays I do eat alot but I now have post infectious IBS from getting the norovirus.
I am under a gastroentroligist who has done all the tests in hospital and blood tests and everything comes up I am 100% healthy which is good but fustrating my weight keeps going down I used to be 57kg before I got the norovirus or just over that now I am 38.5kg which is a BIG difference.
I am also under a dietican I have tried the things she has given me but it makes me feel very sick and I cannot handle it.
I am VERY concerned and now DESPERATELY looking for answers of why I cannot put weight on and I keep loosing weight despite I do eat and I am desperate to put my weight back on
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
Dr. David : This is dr David
Dr. David : have you had your thyroid hormone levels checked?
Dr. David : High thyroid hormone levels or hyperthyroidism can cause your to loose weight
Dr. David :

if you are eating less than normal, this can cause you to loose weight.

Dr. David :

you need a calorie count to see how much you are taking in.

Dr. David :

also you need to avoid lactose

Dr. David :

you could be having bowel mal absorption problems and not absorption your nutrients properly.

Dr. David :

some patients who have gluten allergies or celiac spruce disorder can have nutrient malabsorption problems in their bowels.

Dr. David :

these need to be checked for

Dr. David :

let me know if you have questions.

Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
Dr. David : This is dr David
Dr. David :

Dr. David :

Dr. David :

also you need to avoid lactose

Dr. David :

Dr. David :

Dr. David :

these need to be checked for

Dr. David :

let me know if you have questions.