Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

Recently found out my husband had an affair whilst I was pregnant

Customer Question

Recently found out my husband had an affair whilst I was pregnant with our second child. This is very out of character for him as he's been a good husband and father for the 14 years we have been together. He lost his mother and grandfather in the space of 5 weeks back in 2010 and his father started a new relationship a year after the death of his mother & remarried shortly after. His father also sold the family home. We have also renovated a house and had 2 children during this time. He now says he is sorry and he wants to come back. He has spoken to a councilor who said they thought he was depressed after the death of his mother and may have suffered some kind of mental breakdown which led him to have the affair. Is this possible ?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
Dr. David :

This is Dr. David

Dr. David :

wow, it sounds like he probably was quite stressed back in 2010.

Dr. David :

I assume that is when the affair took place.

Dr. David :

yes, he could have been very depressed or had a mental break down which lead him to have the affair.

Dr. David :

it sounds like he was having a hard time coping with so many stressful situations, the death of his mother, grandfather, his father moving on to another relationship, selling of his home, etc.

Dr. David :

hello?

Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
Dr. David :

This is Dr. David

Dr. David :

Dr. David :

Dr. David :

Dr. David :

Dr. David :

hello?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi David. The affair took place this year. He is now blaming my family for being around too much but I think it's more a case of his family completely breaking up after the death of his mother and his fathered re-marriage and subsequently not really bothering with him that's the problem. He's always had an excellent relationship with my family up until this point. It's like he's flipped and become another person
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
I see.

it would be best if both of you could go see a marriage counselor together to talk about your feelings at the same time

this will help the relationship more than just him going to see a counselor

do you think you and him would be willing to go to marriage counseling together?

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating below the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" if you have any other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me again:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com