Dr. Robert
Dr. Robert, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician
8493425

Hi my wife has just had a very sudden very painfull headache

Customer Question

Hi my wife has just had a very sudden very painfull headache to the left side of her head. She was lying in bed and said that her head was starting to hurt got up to have a slice of toast and came back seconds later in agony clutching her head crying of pain. Could this be a thunderclap headache and should I take her to A&E immediately
Expert:  Dr. Robert replied 2 years ago.
Dear customer
Welcome to justanswer.com and thank you for your question.
I'm so sorry to hear of your wife's discomfort due to this severe headache.I will do whatever I can to help answer your questions:
Yes,you need to take her to emergency room (ER) or A&E immediately.
The symptoms your wife is having seems to be due to thunderclap headache.
These headaches strikes suddenly and severely. It is a form of headache that should never be ignored, but should always be thoroughly investigated.
The cause of a primary thunderclap headache is largely unknown. It may be related to cerebral vasospasm or spasm of the blood vessels in the brain.
Less probable causes can be neuralgia,migraine or temporal arteritis.
Computerized tomography (CT) scan of the head or MRI scan will be required accordingly.
So for confirmation,I advice you to her to the ER now to know the exact underlying cause & then treatment will be done accordingly.
Hope this helped.
My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.
Thank you *****
Dr. Robert