Ken
Ken, Postgraduate doctor
Experience:  Working as a Doctor who Cares since 2001.
25541092

I'm age 53 and have ear probs for many years, otitis media

I'm age 53 and have ear probs for many years, otitis media with semi solid fluid I now have a gromit in right ear ,I still cannot hear, left had infection so doc was unable to put in gromit so I'm using drops now.iv had many treatments including ear drum repair.iv given up work as i can't hear 5 yrs ago,am now studying ,I will see how far I can continue this. What is my best option for hearing please ?
Expert:  Ken replied 2 years ago.
I am Dr Ken and I will be helping you today.
Was CT scan for temporal bones obtained? Can you give me the report?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi ken ,iv had scan done before surgery ,7yrs ago apron,I don't have this info. Infection was in the bone so doc removed infection and whatever was necessary,he preserved the little ear bones and later re set them.as far as I can remember ,so many procedures.
Expert:  Ken replied 2 years ago.
Mary,
Inability to hear indicates either of two issues:
1. The sound waves are not reaching on the ear drum - ossicles in the middle ear and to inner ear.
OR
2. The nerve endings in inner ear which are getting the signal in form of vibration are not able to transmit it to the brain {Neurogenic cause}.
Next step - To find the exact cause of deafness. CT scan to look for transmitting mechanism. MRI Brain to look for any abnormality at the nerve or part of the brain concerned. Blood tests to look for diabetes, vitamin deficiency.
Once a diagnosis is obtained proper treatment can be planned. Inner ear damage would need a hearing aid. Abnormality at cochlea may need an implant - Just to name a few options.
I am sure you will be fine soon.
Best
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What other options please ken, d hearing tests show my hearing is poor yet it is normal when tested behind ear?
Expert:  Ken replied 2 years ago.
Mary,
There are two tests which need to be obtained - Conduction tests and Audiometry. Conduction tests will help to see for conduction of sound till inner ear while other tests including MRI and audiometry help to look for sensorineural or central hearing loss.
You need to get an evaluation from ENT {I would take a second opinion if the first one does not help}.
Best
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok ,thanks ken,I just can't seem to get this sorted out after years of treatmen,maybe there isn't a solution .regards mary
Expert:  Ken replied 2 years ago.
Mary please do not lose hope. Deafness is treatable {most of the types}. I am sure you will be fine.
Best