Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Hi I have suffered depression for a long time but in the last

Customer Question

Hi I have suffered depression for a long time but in the last yr I have got worse on med but not to good on it constion struggle if only I could get rite med I know I could be so much better
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
It will help if you could provide some further information.
Have you been tried on any other antidepressants previously?
If so, what has been tried?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Cerax and librion yrs ago also afxer dont know if that is spelt rite

Thank you for the additional information.

There are a number of different medicines that can be used for depression, and the drugs will affect various brain chemicals. Different medicines will work better for different people, indicating that different brain chemicals are the underlying problem in different people. Unfortunately, there is no accurate method to be able to predict which medicine will work for different people. Blood levels of these chemicals do not correlate with clinical response and there is no effective method for measurement of brain levels of the chemical, at least not with the current level of technology (studies are being done to try to develop this ability).

Until we can devise a method to determine which chemical is the problem for a particular individual, the usual method when someone is not responding well to certain antidepressants is to use an antidepressant that works on a different chemical or pattern of chemicals in the brain.

With the medicines that you are currently and previously taken, the antidepressant that would be reasonable to try would be bupropion. It is also true that there are some people with depression that do not respond well to an antidepressant, alone. In these people, they tend to do better if another medicine is added to augment the effect of the antidepressant. There are a number of medicines that can be added, including Cytomel, quetiapine, or aripiprazole.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.