Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

my 94 year old mother is in hospital with a broken arm and

my 94 year old mother is in hospital with a broken arm and pelvis. When she presses her call button for a bedpan staff are ignoring this for periods in excess of 30 minutes. It is a quiet ward, not busy at all . I have witnessed this for myself, and the staff are chatting and laughing while my mother is becoming more and more distressed. Is there a policy regarding recommended response time? What can i do to resolve this?
liz
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi. Yes there are hospital policies about nursing duties and responding to patients when they are summoning a nurse. You need to speak directly to both her doctor and to the hospital administration and the director of nursing and have them take action to stop the nurses' behavior