Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

Hi there, I have been suffering for a while now. I have

Hi there,
I have been suffering for a while now. I have tested my urine as i have been suffering with pain in my right side towards my back now for a long time, i have no energy, not even to shower to be honest, my test shows my ph level is the highest, i was suppose to have uro dynamics done this year but i have not showed for many appointments as i did not think there was anything wrong, my urine also smells very strongly like iron or bran flakes, what can i do without going to the doctors
Toni
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
Dr. David :

This is Dr. David

Dr. David :

it sounds like you could have a very bad bladder or kidney infection.

Dr. David :

this is very serious and if you let a bad kidney and bladder infection go, it can spread bacteria into your blood system and you can get very very sick.

Dr. David :

you really need to see a doctor at the hospital and A&E and get your urine checked with a urinalysis and urine culture

Dr. David :

to check for infection

Dr. David :

and you need a kidney ultrasound to check for kidneys stones and blockage and infection in your kidney

Dr. David :

you don't want to loose a kidney from an infection or have bacteria spread into your blood stream.

Customer:

I have had septicemia going back a few months ago now. and i have had an altrosound and tests, then out of the blue i got apointments for uro dynamics and i have not attended because my son is a spinal injury and thought they got his appointment mixed up with mine, i have had a course of 7 days antibiotics and stopped them about 4 days now but i am not feeling good at all,

Dr. David :

your bladder infection may not have been completely treated.

Dr. David :

if your urine smells, you need to go back to your doctors or to the A&E department and get your urine tested again.

Dr. David :

to see if there is still infection in there.

Dr. David :

you could have a pinched nerve in your back as well causing pain in your back.

Customer:

i have tested it this morning and its still high

Dr. David :

you might need a spine MRI scan to see if you have a herniated disk or a pinched nerve in your spine causing your right back pain.

Dr. David :

pH testing is not enough.

Dr. David :

you need a urinalysis and bacterial urine culture to check for bacteria in your urine.

Dr. David :

why did you stop your antibiotics at 4 days?

Customer:

i took the whole course of them

Dr. David :

oh, I see.

Dr. David :

you finished the course of antibiotics 4 days ago.

Customer:

yes thats correct

Dr. David :

well, some bacterial infections in the urine can be resistant to certain antibiotics.

Dr. David :

what antibiotic did you use?

Dr. David :

are you drinking lots of water during the day?

Dr. David :

your body and kidneys need you to drink plenty of fluids.

Dr. David :

to help flush out the kidneys and bladder.

Dr. David :

if you don't drink enough water, this can cause you to have darker urine and put you at more risk to have another bladder infection.

Customer:

well i drink more than the average person i always have and i am still thirsty, the antibiotics that i had were 500mg of ciprofloxin

Dr. David :

ciprofloxin is cipro and is a commonly used antibitoic for UTI.

Dr. David :

but some bacteria can be resistant to cipro

Dr. David :

and you could still have a bacterial urinary tract infection if your urine smells bad at this point

Dr. David :

or if you have cloudy urine

Dr. David :

or if you have any blood or burning with urination.

Dr. David :

so you need to go back to your doctor or the A&E and get your urine checked again

Dr. David :

to see if there is still an infection there.

Customer:

sorry it was cefelexin

Dr. David :

if there is still an infection, you might need a different antibiotic this time to treat the infection.

Dr. David :

same advice.

Dr. David :

you mean cephalexin?

Customer:

yes sorry my spelling is not good

Dr. David :

Cefalexin

Dr. David :

yes, you still need to get your urine checked.

Dr. David :

your bacterial infection could have been resistant to this antibiotic.

Customer:

ok thank you for your advise i will go to doctors tomorrow. x

Dr. David :

you are welcome

Dr. David :

good idea

Dr. David :

let me know if you have other questions

Dr. David :

if done for now, please leave positive feedback below the chat box

Dr. David :

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback.

Dr. David :

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Dr. David :

is my website if you need to reach me again.

Dr. David :

thanks for using JustAnswer.com

Dr. David :

do you see the ratings area below?

Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience: Board Certified Physician