Dr. Charogat
Dr. Charogat, Doctor
Experience:  Licensed in both NYS and NJ with experience in surgery and medicine.
16403115

I am a healthy woman of 59, not overweight. Last night in bed

I am a healthy woman of 59, not overweight. Last night in bed I had uncomfortable chest and upper back pain which I took to be indigestion, thought this is very unlike me. I am suffering from a frozen shoulder at the moment, which is being treated, so have pain in some positions in the left shoulder. I had breakfast this morning and then made a car journey from Devon to Cambridge. My partner had to drive throughout because I was in consistent discomfort throughout the journey. I took two Rennies and drank a little tea. Whenever we stopped I felt I was going to be sick but never was. I also felt slightly faint. After the journey I went straight to bed fully clothed and could not get warm. I'm now on my own for the night and the considerable discomfort in my chest, stomach and upper back has not diminished. If I push on my stomach just above my navel it is very uncomfortable. I have been to the loo normally and my stomach is silent, which I wouldn't expect with indigestion. I#m very tired and feel as if my chest and back have been badly bruised. I'm getting a bit worried - could you advise please?
Expert:  Dr. Charogat replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Charogat :

Hi, and thank you for coming here with your question.

Dr. Charogat :

You need to go to A&E and have your heart checked out immediately.

Dr. Charogat :

The symptoms women have when they have heart attacks are not always the same as men.

Dr. Charogat :

Chest pain NEEDS to be taken seriously! Even the healthiest person could have a heart attack.

Customer:

Thankyou. I have no-one to take me so will try and contact a friend.

Dr. Charogat :

You must go ASAP.

Dr. Charogat :

Please be in touch with me when you get back so that I know you are okay.

Customer:

OK.

Dr. Charogat :

(If you don't mind).

Dr. Charogat :

I am in the US, so I'm not sure how it works in the UK, but if you were here I'd tell you to call an ambulance, because things can go downhill very quickly.

Dr. Charogat :

G-d Bless

Dr. Charogat, Doctor
Experience: Licensed in both NYS and NJ with experience in surgery and medicine.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Dear Dr. Charogat,

You answered my query last night and I took your advice and went to hospital. I was kept in overnight for checks. The problem proved to be gallstones and I am now waiting to have my gall bladder removed. I am so grateful for your help. Thankyou so much and God bless you too.

Jane