Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

what can be a reason for sudden hearing loss? 1 ear: 0%, another:

what can be a reason for sudden hearing loss? 1 ear: 0%, another: about 40%. happened within 1 year. no genetic problems, MRI scans and other tests normal but nobody can explain what it is , why it happened nor how to cure it. hearing is worse when tired. can't sleep without sleeping pills. constant noise in the head, like whizzing
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 3 years ago.
Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing internist. Excellent service is my goal.
Thanks for this question
The vast majority of these are due to a viral infection.
The virus infects and destroys the cells that are involved in hearing in the ear. This can be totally devastating
I'm very sorry this happened
Assuming you have had a normal MRI of the brain (which should have been done) and a normal checkup by an ENT doctor (ear, nose and throat) then that is likely what it is
Unfortunately, not much can be done for viral hearing loss.
You may simply need hearing aids if they help
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thank you for your reply.

what to do if hearing aids do not help? any other treatments available? any chance the hearing can be restored (at least to some extent) or improve by itself?

It can improve by itself and it might over time
there is not much other than a trial of oral steroids that can help
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thank you :(

can it be stress related?

Yes, to an extent but that is a dramatic hearing loss for just stress
I appreciate the excellent rating.

I would be happy to help you in the future. Just ask for Dr. Phil in your question opening or bookmark this page http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-irondoc/

I greatly appreciate a positive rating in the customer satisfaction survey that you will receive via email. It is important for me to get your feedback. Thank you. :)