Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

My adult daughter suffers from dermatitis on her hands and

Customer Question

My adult daughter suffers from dermatitis on her hands and because of this, she has now contracted herpes on the hands only. Most distressing as she cannot touch small children in fear of transmitting the disease. What can she do?
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
It will help if you could provide some further information.
When did she first develop the herpes infection of the hand?
How often does she get a symptomatic recurrence?
Has she been tested to identify the type of herpes?
Is she taking an antiviral medicine? If so, which medicine?
What job does she have?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

She has had it since about March this year.

She has them almost all the time, though often they flare up and discharge a fluid.

She is taking an antiviral medication but I cannot tell you the name of it as she lives in New Zealand.

She works at a school as a helper to problem children and also does the cleaning of the school afterwards.

She has been tested for allergies and is nickel intolerant.

Thank you for the additional information.

There are several issues to consider in this situation.

A herpes infection of the fingers is called herpes whitlow. It most often happens from autoinoculation, the person infecting themselves, but people that have jobs that cause the fingers to be frequently exposed can get it from other, such as dental hygienists.

It is very unusual to have almost continual outbreaks of herpes, in any location, including on the fingers. Someone with almost continuous outbreaks may be having a mixed problem, with only part of the issue from herpes, and getting several herpes cultures over time can clarify whether it truly is almost continuous herpes, although her doctor may have already done this.

From the perspective of treatment, there are several important interventions. The most important is an oral antiviral medicine, and if she is continuing to have almost continuous outbreaks, it may be necessary to consider a different medicine or dosing schedule. In addition, wearing gloves, and particularly latex or similar medical gloves, can help to reduce the risk of transmission. With her dermatitis, her doctor may prefer to use a specific type of glove, so she should discuss this with the doctor managing her dermatitis.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you. She already wears gloves for almost everything, so her problem is she is unable to deal with everyday life with regards ***** ***** bathing them etc. in fear that she could pass it on to them, especially babies.

I shall pass on to her your comments.

She can wear the gloves while performing those activities.