Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

Hello Dr hope you are well.. Thought if ask a quick question,

Customer Question

Hello Dr hope you are well.. Thought if ask a quick question, since yesterday morning my throat on the left has been feeling as though ive got something sharp stuck there.. I checked this morning and noticed a white spot on my left tonsil.. I've been gargling salt water.. Do you think I need antibiotics?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hi. Do you have a really sore throat? Any fever? And if you could post a photo on this page that would be very helpful
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No really sore throat and no fever.. Can't upload to the site from an iPhone so doing from the laptop.. Will be about 5 mins
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
So it's the one white spot in the bottom left.. The other White bits are just light reflections
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK Shazad. This looks like what's called a tonsillolith. It's usually a bit of food trapped in the tonsil surface that eventually gets as hard as a stone. Nothing serious and doesn't need antibiotics and usually you can scrape it off with a toothbrush. If it starts causing real pain then you'd need to have a doctor take a look
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks doc.. Anyway when I have my cardiac mri, will that measure thickness too,?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Yes it will measure all the aspects of your heart--not only the septum but the ventricular and atrial walls
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok I know I always ask ghis but I need the reassurance I think.. The mild thickness doesn't put me at risk of a VF? Also the thickness can't get to a dangerous level in just a few months can it?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
No to both of those Shazad. But then I've told you that a few times before. And remember your cardiologist is basically getting the MRI to soothe your worry. I'm sure it won't show any change in the thickness
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks.. Anyway that tonsillolith has disappeared.. Could have scraped off while eating I think
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
They usually fall off of their own accord Shazad
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks .. Have a nice day doc
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
You too my friend
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Dr are u still there?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Here now Shazad
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It's ok.. It was about the other question.. Another doc replied.. Thanks anyeay
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
No problem