Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Doctor
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice.
13711182

My name is***** 43 and approx 6 months ago, my GP recommend

Customer Question

My name is***** 43 and approx 6 months ago, my GP recommend I stop taking the pill, which was Yasmin, never had any problems with it. But now my PMT has come back and is causing me to be very emotional the week leading up to my period.
Is there anything I can take to prevent this like Yasmin Pill seemed to do ??
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome.
I am Dr. Norm, and I look forward to helping you today.
How much exercise do you get?
Do you smoke?
Are you taking any medications? Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Exercise, twice a week, I do smoke, approx 40 per week.

I dont take any other medications.

PMT (pre menstrual tension) or PMS (pre menstrual syndrome) is a complicated disorder that is not well understood, although it's related to age and hormones.
There are certain things that can be helpful, such as daily exercise, avoid caffeine, sugar and stress, and certain medications.
Yasmin is helpful for some women, but it's not adviseable to take the pill after age 35 if you smoke.
Certain anti-depressants (SSRI's) such as Prozac are helpful for some women.
There are various other things you could try, which are listed here http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/diseases/facts/pms.htm
If you could stop smoking, then you could take the Yasmin again, since that was helpful for you. Otherwise, daily exercise can be very helpful, as well as avoiding sugar, caffeine and stress.
You could also see your doctor for a prescription to Prozac or similar medication. I hope that's helpful.