Ken
Ken, Postgraduate doctor
Experience:  Working as a Doctor who Cares since 2001.
25541092

Hi, I suffer from chronic neck, shoulder and lower back pain.

Customer Question

Hi, I suffer from chronic neck, shoulder and lower back pain. I believe I exhibit signs of kyphosis, forward head position and overdevelopment of the trapezius muscles.
I would ideally like to correct my posture, if you believe such a problem exists, decrease the size of my trapezius muscles and reduce if not eliminate the kyphosis. Attached is a picture of my torso side on.
Thanks very much.
http://tinypic.com/r/8x65n7/8
Expert:  Ken replied 2 years ago.
I am Dr Ken and I will be helping you today.
I went through the attached image.
Was x ray for cervical and thoracic spine obtained?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Dr Ken,

I do not have any xrays unfortunately.

Expert:  Ken replied 2 years ago.
Alex,
I do not see any hypertrophy or overdevelopment of the back muscle {Trapezius}. It is likely due to kyphosis {positional}.
I would get xray for thoracic spine and chest to look for degree of kyphosis if any and any congenital abnormality at the chest bones {sternum and ribs}. Treatment plan can than be thought of.
Best
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Ken,

I have a concave chest and particularly prominent sternum. Could this be indicative of congenital abnormality?

Best

Expert:  Ken replied 2 years ago.
Concave chest can be congenitally abnormal for sure. I would also rule out kyphosis at thoracic spine. X ray for thoracic spine and chest {AP and lateral views} should help.
Good Luck