Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Doctor
Experience:  Doctor ( General Medicine)
9385906

I have noticed a red area on my breast is this something to

Customer Question

I have noticed a red area on my breast is this something to worry about?  I first noticed it a few days ago and my husband said it disappeared but then it reappeared?  I am worried about inflammatory breast cancer.  It is about 2 inches in diameter and red/pink in colour just like the start of a bruise.

Expert:  Dr. Kaushik replied 2 years ago.
Greetings.
Welcome to the site.
Please answer a few queries.
1) What is your age ?
2) Has there been any history of breast cancer in your family ?
3) Is there any lump or mass present beneath the red area ?
4) Is the surface of the red area on breast different to touch as compared to the remaining other areas of the breast ? In other words is the area rough, hard, mobile, etc to feel ?
5) Do you have pain in the breast having this red area ?
6) Is your husband sure that he saw the area having disappeared for few days ?
7) When did the area reappear ?
8) Was the area same color, size/diameter, consistency the first also ?
9) Has there been any sort of discharge from the nipple of the affected breast ?
I shall get back to you once you reply to my queries.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

1) What is your age ? 35

2) Has there been any history of breast cancer in your family ? Not aware of any, no.

3) Is there any lump or mass present beneath the red area ? No, not that I can feel.

4) Is the surface of the red area on breast different to touch as compared to the remaining other areas of the breast ? In other words is the area rough, hard, mobile, etc to feel ? No it feels no different at all. The skin is smooth.

5) Do you have pain in the breast having this red area ? No pain

6) Is your husband sure that he saw the area having disappeared for few days ? He checked it yesterday and said it was not there but on looking again this morning it was back.

7) When did the area reappear ? This morning.

8) Was the area same color, size/diameter, consistency the first also ? Yes it does not appear to have changed size or colour, it is about 2 inches in diameter.

9) Has there been any sort of discharge from the nipple of the affected breast ? No discharge and the nipple looks the same as always.

Well, it seems unlikely that this red/pinkish area on breast is something cancerous since it is not persistent which would not have been the case in case of a cancerous lesion, since the lesion of the latter nature once develops it does not disappear on its own. Other than this absence of lump, no discharge, your young age, no family history, no change in breast consistency, all of these too indicate this to be non-cancerous.
Now what this can be ? Well there can be many reasons behind it such as an allergic reaction to linen/clothes, bruise by self or during physical contact or awkward position during sleeping, could be discoloration or physiological bodily changes with age, etc.
So basically this does not seem to be serious, but you as a precautionary measure, you need to keep a close watch over it plus you need to gently once a day look for presence of mass beneath it or around it without pressing it too hard which may result in bruising and further delay in recovery, see if it resolves on its own in the next few days.
However, if in the next 4-5 days time it does not change it's color or disappear or reduce in size or if there is development of a lump underneath it then please get yourself examined by a gynecologist. So do not take stress and do not over do the self examination as it may lead to unnecessary bruising and worsening of the affected area. But as of now there are high chances that in the coming few days this area may get normal as before.
I hope this helps.
Wish you all the best.
Please kindly leave a Positive rating if you are satisfied with the answer.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The picture is not that clear however i have seen it and from the looks of it that looks like a bruise. You shall expect it to either go away completely in the next few days or at least undergo for a color change to bluish / purple ( ie. is healing process ) before returning to previous skin color.
I hope this helps.
Wish you all the best.