Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I'm a 19 year old male and in July I didn't masturbate or

I'm a 19 year old male and in July I didn't masturbate or orgasm for 19 days. Since then I developed depression and a nasty form of OCD which has caused a lot of distress. I also felt that my libido plummeted and just not how I used to feel.. Which furthered my distress. It is now some time since then and I am not depressed anymore, and my ocd also isn't bothering me too much. However my libido is still very weak. I feel that my erections are weaker, I feel a loss of desire.. Before all of this my libido felt invincible but now I am very insecure about it. I'm scared that I deregulated my hormonal levels or something and if I've lowered my testosterone that I won't grow to my full potential. I also feel like my libido will never be the same again. What should I do?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi--since you used the clinical term OCD, have you seen a doctor about this?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I haven't no. I've just tried to carry on with my normal life and it has diminished. It still sometimes affects me but in a much less severe form.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hello?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
I just realized we've talked about this before. Has this problem gotten any better since we last spoke?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm not feeling depressed anymore and my ocd has diminished some bit... My libido is still some cause for concern. I'm worried about my testosterone levels.. I have weaker desire, my testes also look smaller.. I think I feel less energetic too. I haven't been to a doctor yet however.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
And just to check here--suddenly--out of the blue--this became a full-blown problem back in the summer? Was there something that happened in your life at that time?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I just started to feel depressed... I'm not sure but I read online that abstinence after a porn addiction can lead to what I am feeling, it could also lead to panic which is what I had when I developed my OCD. And that apparently the individual needs to "reboot" for 6 weeks without orgasm to feel better again. I never thought I had a porn addiction so when I saw this I was shocked but it fitted my symptoms. I would watch porn for not too long most days. Is this credible?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Are you feeling guilty for watching porn?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I wasnt really because I was still able to become aroused without porn when I didn't want. However is what I'm feeling possible from someone unknowingly recovering from an addiction?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
So when was the last time you watched porn?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
2 days ago
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
And you think you might be addicted to it?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I don't think so no. But what I'm feeling at the moment with my weak libido.. Could this result from suddenly not masturbating after a porn addiction?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
So tell me more about the weak libido--just no desire at all?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I do still feel desire.. But my erections feel weaker and I feel that my desire isn't as strong as it was before the abstinence
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK We can continue after this if you'd like but I don't think this has anything to do with a physical problem like low testosterone, although you should see a doctor and have your levels checked just to make sure. It does sound like a significant OCD problem, possibly fueled by feelings of guilt about a possible porn addiction. It would help you greatly to see a therapist about this and get some cognitive behavioral therapy instead of just trying to solve it on your own. Masturbating or not masturbating does not change testosterone levels or cause a physical erection problem
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I may as we'll be fully honest. I do have a non harmful paraphilia which did cause a lot of guilt and shame.. It's just a female foot fetish. However I have never been turned on my normal stimulus. That is why I went abstinent to see if anything changed but really it's just made my issues worse.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
A foot fetish is nothing to feel guilty about but again, CBT can help greatly with guilt and shame. It sounds like it's time for you to take charge and get to a therapist