Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Hello, last week a nurse prescribed me with Co-Amoxiclav 500/125

Customer Question

Hello, last week a nurse prescribed me with Co-Amoxiclav 500/125 3 times a day, thinking that I had bladder infection (the test came negative after). I started taking them and it was all ok, after 3 days I took a tablet and had a pizza straight after, which caused me a really bad indigestion, mainly gas. Sunday morning, I woke up more or less ok, I had a coffee and another tablet, and I had episodes of diarrhea. I called 111, and they sent me to hospital. Once I was seen, the dr said it was probably a reaction to the coffee. I went back home and I feel ok after for 3 days until yesterday.Out of the blue, I had a stomach cramp and an episode of diarrhea, and in the evening I had dinner (pasta) and had another episode of diarrhea, leaving me with a feeling of wind in the intestine all night. This morning, I was off my food, I had some toast and diarrhea again and the pain. What could it be?
Conditions I've got: IBS, Hiatus Hernia
Other factors: My period was due today but it's not here
Many thanks in advance
regards,
Monica
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.

There are several possibilities to consider in this situation.

First, it could directly be a side effect to the drug, as stomach upset and diarrhoea are common side effects to the Co-Amoxiclav. If this is the problem, it will typically resolve after a few days of no longer taking the Co-Amoxiclav.

It also could be a more substantial issue related to the use of Co-Amoxiclav - an alteration of the good germs in the gut. Many antibiotics can kill the good germs in the gut in addition to the bad germs for which the antibiotic was prescribed. In this situation, it may help to use interventions that will promote growth of good germs in the gut, such as eating yoghurt with an active culture or taking a probiotic supplement.

It is also possible that it could be related to an exacerbation of the pre-existing IBS. Although the urine infection was ultimately excluded, there must have been some condition causing the symptoms that led your doctor to suspect a possible urine infection, and even if it is only from spasm of the urinary tract, the stress of the symptoms may exacerbate IBS. In this situation, it also will typically improve as the acute situation resolves.

So, at this point, it would be appropriate to promote the good germs in the colon and along with the passage of time, the symptoms will usually improve.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

That's great Dr. thanks ever so much

You're welcome.