Ken
Ken, Postgraduate doctor
Experience:  Working as a Doctor who Cares since 2001.
25541092

I have had period like pains all day,sometimes making me feel

I have had period like pains all day,sometimes making me feel nauseous and I constantly have the feeling I need to poo.I am not 500mg of ibuprofen,20mg of citalapram and cough medicine prescribed by the doctor also naproxesyn for ibs flare ups.could this be my ibs?or. Is it something else?
Expert:  Ken replied 2 years ago.
I am Dr Ken and I will be helping you today.
Were any investigations done to see for the cause? Are there associated symptoms like blood or mucus in stool?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No blood or mucus from what I saw....and I have been tested for ibs a year ago which come back positive.I haven't yet been to doctors about systems today as was unsure x

Expert:  Ken replied 2 years ago.
Emma,
Thank you for that additional information.
Pain with feeling of going to poo indicates irritation of the bowel loops. The cause can be varied - Inflammation/ infection {viral, bacterial or parasitic}/ irritable bowel disease. I am happy that there are no associated symptoms like blood or mucus in stool. This would have indicated infection and severe underlying disease.
Next step - A physical evaluation along with blood and stool analysis and ultrasound of abdomen if needed later would give us more answers. You may need antibiotic or anti parasitic medicines after the diagnosis.
As of now Gas-X/ warm compress should help. Have balanced diet, adequate fluid/ avoid alcohol, smoking or excess caffeine.
Few signs should prompt ER visit - Sudden increase in severity of pain/ inability to pass gas/ loss of consciousness or excessive distention of abdomen.
Wish you well.
Best
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

What about the nausea?is this part of it...I don't drink smoke or eat unhealthy.is there anything I could do to settle it for now??my naproxesyn??for inflammation?

Expert:  Ken replied 2 years ago.
Nausea can also be a part of infection. It may also indicate irritation of stomach mucosa may be due to excess acid secretion or medicines. Naproxyn should help reduce inflammation. I would also try TUMS to get relief from Nausea.
Best
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

So I should use tums?I do have lansoprazole.also I should get tested for infections???could it be the mixture of medication that's affecting my stomach/bowels??

Expert:  Ken replied 2 years ago.
You need to use TUMS and GasX as of now. Avoid any other medicines till a diagnosis is met. Get a physical evaluation along with tests for infection.
Best
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I also failed to mention that when I had a poo my legs from calf to feet went numb then tiggled for around 1minute...could this also be due to an infection?

Expert:  Ken replied 2 years ago.
It is likely due to less blood flow to the legs. When you poo there is contraction of vessels in lower limb and also mild compression of the sciatic nerve. Mild anemia and dehydration may also act as contributing factors. Infection is not the cause.
Best