Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

Hello Dr Chip this is Andrew again regarding the bowel problem

Customer Question

Hello Dr Chip this is Andrew again regarding the bowel problem please.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi again Andrew. So are you saying that you consciously kept yourself from having a bowel movement for all that time? You said something about this being a problem for years?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes I am Dr when I was 20-30 I had numerous pilonidal sinus ops which eventually did work it was an in growing hair that had to be removed so that the skin would heel from the inside out & thankfully in the end after a long time did iv had no trouble for many a year now. It could be that iv got it at the back of my mind i don't know but to leave a bowel moment for the length i do I know is wrong but i just don't get the urge anyway u know Dr ?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Have you discussed this with your doctor and you mentioned something about fatigue?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I did briefly discuss it with him & he gave me lactulose beginning of the year but that's it. I never get any abdominal pain, discomfort, blood in stools etc which is good isn't it but yes I am constantly tired which I put down to the ramipril ? Iv had the bloods done as you know Dr but definitely the root cause is the worry of straining & it's outcomes I think ? Any idea on anything i could do or add to my diet to help plz ?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Was your thyroid function checked and, if so, do you know what your TSH level was?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes it was Dr, my TSH number was 1.78 & Free T4 is 17.7
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK That looks fine Andrew. Here's the diet I suggest to my patients and it's called a nutrient dense diet--fresh green and leafy veggies, fruits, whole grains, nuts, coconut milk, tofu or tempeh, and no more than three servings per week of lean meats, fish, and poultry. I'd also suggest you take a lactobacillus containing probiotic daily and also get extra fiber with something like Metamucil
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Many thanks for that Dr Chip. You know you mentioned leafy veg ( as in broccoli -- which I love btw, salads, I love beetroot ! I thought nuts were high in cholesterol though ? I know what you mean by lactobacillus drinks ---probiotic actimel I think isn't it ? As regards ***** ***** this please ? I drink plenty of water & like plain chicken if I eat meat which isn't that often twice a wk maybe & plain or jkt pots -- chips once a month if that !!!
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Yes--actimel is fine. Walnuts, almonds, and sunflower seeds are good and low in cholesterol. As for Metamucil, psyllium capsules are available in the UK and it's a way to add extra fiber to your diet for bowel health
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience: 20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok thanks again Dr. I'll get some pkt walnuts, almonds & sunflower seeds & add them to my porridge then & look for those capsules ? Many thanks again you've been very helpful today -- Always indebted, look forward to speaking soon regards Andrew
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Again my pleasure Andrew
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hello Dr Chip i hope you don't mind me getting back to you but I got some walnuts, sunflower seeds, almonds, lettuce, spinach & actimel but was wondering because my potassium is 4.7 & my calcium is 2.55 should I worry that they affect these levels & do I need to avoid any of these or not ? Apparently they are all good in magnesium too ? Also I bought figs. Hope you are ok regards Andrew
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hello Dr Chip did you please get my last question or have it gone wrong ? Regards Andrew
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Other.
Could i please have a reply from another Dr as you say Dr Chip might be offline ? Many thanks Andrew
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
I would be glad to help you
However, we are only paid by ja when we get a positive rating...sometimes that is hard to do on the same thread.
Would you like to rate again here, or find me by request in medical?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hello Dr Thomas I'm sorry to be so ignorant but i don't quite understand you ? I've been discussing certain health issues with Dr Chip & i nearly finished my query ? Regards Andrew
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
I will send a note about this to doctor chip, so hang on.
I thought you wanted a second opinion.
Please wait.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok many thanks Dr Thomas .... Andrew
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi again Dr T just wondering if u'd spoken to Dr Chip regarding my query ? If you haven't as yet I'll hold on, many thanks again take care Andrew
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Sorry for the delay Andrew. Can I ask what exactly worries you about the calcium and potassium?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No problems Dr i understand you are busy & I shouldn't keep on as I'm not the only patient you are dealing with but what was concerning me ; you know my potassium is 4.7 & my calcium is 2.55 well I've bought the walnuts, lettuce, spinach, actimel, sunflower seeds ( which apparently are excellent for the heart ie magnessium but can they affect affect my pot & cal levels too & is there any need to omit some or none of these foods please. Always indebted Andrew
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK Andrew. No, there's no problem with what you've bought and your potassium or calcium levels. And yes, there's a good amount of magnesium there.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok many many thanks again Dr Chip :) So you don't think my pot or calcium levels are high then ?? I'll carry on with a little each of those items on a daily basis ie adding nuts to the salads & an actimel each day. In summary & as a last query for the moment --- of all the blood tests iv had i have never had my magnessium measured ? Is this paramount or not as from now I'm consuming these products. I can't thank you enough & will rate you as prompted next. Speak soon & best wishes Andrew :)
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Not really high although your potassium is a bit on the high side. No need to have your magnesium level checked
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok thank you for the feedback is there any self measures I can undertake to reduce my potassium numbers & what is the desirable range please. I think my ramipril leaflet said that high pot is a side effect ? I can't stop that really can i ?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Up to about 5 is a normal potassium range Andrew so yours isn't all that high--just in the high normal range. For now you can continue with your ramipril
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok thanks for that Dr Chip. When would you suggest me having my bloods checked again ( only just been ) & should i drink plenty of water or any other self measures to reduce it ? My calcium isn't too bad though you say ? Regards Andrew
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
No the calcium is fine Andrew. I'd recheck your bloods in about three months. The diet I've suggested will lower your potassium level in time but plenty of water daily would also help
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok many thanks for everything Dr you are a credit to your profession. I think you can gather that i am a worrier of my health & probably aren't alone either in this. I'm going to do everything uv'e said & advised me to do but I think I shouldn't worry as my tests are pretty good in general aren't they ? Hope to speak soon --- always indebted Andrew
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Nothing at all to worry about Andrew and do keep in touch
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Will do ---- take care off to bed !
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
You too