Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

Bloated and painfull stomach for prolonged period after eating.

Bloated and painfull stomach for prolonged period after eating. Lack of appetite.
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Shahzad MD :

Hi there. Thank you for your question. I will be helping you out with your queries

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Which part of the stomach is affected? Is it the mid upper part of the abdomen?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Have you used anything for this as yet?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Are you passing gas?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Do you drink? If yes how much?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Please let me know.

Customer:

Hi, It tends to be the mid-part of the stomach in the area just below the sternum. As for gas? Well, hardly anything. The only medication I have been taking so far is Panadol afterwhich the symptoms subside. I have no trouble sleeping, but find it more comfortable on my back. As for drinking, again nothing I think is excessive. I might have 6 pints of beer a week tops, occasionally a couple of glasses of red wine in the evening, but I've stopped this now because it tends to give me indigestion if I drink wine after say 9.00pm. I also occasionally enjoy a gin and tonic of an evening, but again this is not every evening and certainly not if I've had a pint or two of beer during the day.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

So how many days has this been going on?

Customer:

Started wednesday morning!

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Have you had this checked up?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

I mean have you been seen for thisas yet?

Customer:

Yes. I went to see a doctor this morning and he suggested I have some blood samples taken and an ultrasound check-up next week. I know this sounds a little awful, as it suggests I'm not convinced of his diagnosis that it might be to do with my gall bladder, bit I'm really only seeking a second opinion.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Well, if it is in the mid upper abdomen there are two other possibilities in addition to gallbladder that need to be ruled out:

Dr. Shahzad MD :

1. Pancreatitis which can be related to your alcohol intake.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

2. Gastritis.... inflammation of your stomach.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Blood tests like amylase and lipase are good for the diagnosis of pancreatitis.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

CT scan of the abdomen can also diagnose pancreatitis.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

One of the best tests to diagnosis gastritis is an endoscopy.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

So I think that these two conditions should be ruled out.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Meanwhile you can take over the counter zantac 150 mg twice daily to see if that helps you with your symptoms.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

If it helps then it would go more in favor of the diagnosis of gastritis.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Are you with me?

Customer:

Okay-dokey, I'll give the Zantac a try.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Good.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Anymore questions?

Customer:

No, I think that good for the moment.

Customer:

Thank you very much.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

You are most welcome
Wish you all the best.
Please do rate me for my services by clicking on one of the smilies below.
Kindest regards

Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience: Doctor of Medicine