Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

For the past few months I've noticed a white/ yellow discharge

Customer Question

For the past few months I've noticed a white/ yellow discharge which had a fishy smell. At first I thought this was bv so I've been using bv treatment but now although the smell has gone I've noticed itching and a slight burning sensation I'm now worried that this although unlikely may be an STI, any thoughts
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Which treatment for bacterial vaginosis have you been using?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
A gel. By balance active
There are a could of possibilities in this situation.

It is very possible that this is still a bacterial vaginosis. The gel treatment may work, but it also has a relatively high failure rate. It is more effective to use an oral antibiotic for the treatment of bacterial vaginosis, usually metronidazole.

It also could be another form of vaginal infection due to trichomonas, which also is treated with metronidazole. The trichomonas is transmitted by sexual intercourse.

A yeast infection also can cause a discharge and burning, although it does not typically cause a fishy odor.

The usual next step when there is a persistent vaginal discharge with burning would be to see your doctor, who can perform tests to confirm the specific type of infection and prescribe appropriate treatment. But the most likely treatment would need to be oral metronidazole.