DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

Hi I went abroad and picked a heavy load on my shoulders

Customer Question

I went abroad and picked a heavy load on my shoulders for about 20mins. it was 10 litres of water. I am 5'1 and 56kg. I kept swapping frm side to side from one shoulder to another. On my way back home, after a few days I developed pain in the centre of my hands, I then while pulling a heavy suitcase felt my arm feel weak and extreme pain in the forearm, for which I took an iburofen. Pain in my hands is now on and off but both my arms feel weak and at times painful at the forearm and my hands feel weaker than before, sometimes I wake up to numb hands or tingly hands, today I even had a pain in my neck and shoulder. It has been three months since I have returned from abroad. any idea what it could be?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
I am Doctor Thomas, a double board certified doctor in internal medicine and integrative medicine, with advanced training in several other fields. I am a clinician of over 20 years experience. I will give you an initial answer or ask you a question, but be sure to use reply to expert to communicate with me as needed.
This could be a number of problems.
However, the concern is that there is a disc problem in the upper spine, or narrowing of the upper spine.
With weakness, this can be a serious situation.
It needs to be assessed now, and if this is the finding, then an MRI of the spine.
Muscle disease can do this.
MS can act like this, rarely.
Therefore there are a variety of problems, and exam and testing are needed to narrow this down.
Doctor to see: Physical medicine doctor, or, Orthopedist, or Rheumatologist.
Or your itnernist if you have one as your primary doctor.
If the weakness is pronounced, and really weakness, you should not wait, and should go to the ER for assessment and ask for an MRI.
OK, so that is an initial answer….
Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No real weakness. I have been to an osteopath who said my spine was normal but there was lots of muscle tightness and perhaps a pinched nerve.

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
OK
In that case you need the MRI.
There is no way to assess the severity of the pinched nerve without one.
In fact, the osteopath can order this.
You should also have
ANA panel
Sed rate
CPK
this will screen for muscle inflammatory disease as well as autoimmune disease.
OK, so that is an initial answer….
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

My doctor has checked me for strength and he feels it is normal and so are my reflexes. I am able to do my day to day jobs normal, there is no real impac. I have a desk job. The osteopath felt it was my bad posture which had added pressure as well as the heavy load I had carried while abroad.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

All my blood tests have been normal.

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
Check to see if those blood tests were done specifically.
If it is bad posture only, then physical therapy is one thing that might be added.
Alexander technique is the overall best somatic therapy for posture, and fits will with osteopathic manipulation.
please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

So in your expert opinion, bearing in mind I have had all necessary blood tests, strength tests and reflexes tested. Even have had my eye sight tested..everything is healthy.

Is this anything serious I need to have investigated?

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
Not if you have had all the correct tests.
Those would included what I have mentioned already
All routine labs
And thyroid function testing, along with vitamin D, calcium and magnesium.
If all is normal, probably muscle tension.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am sorry, can you please summarise what tests you would recommend I have. please.

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
Sed rate, ANA panel
Magnesium, calcium, vitamin D.
CPK
TSH, T4
CBC, CMP
Urinalysis.
Please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent].
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am happy to rate and finish after this. If all bloods are normal that you have mentioned. No further investigation is need. because before you mentioned MS and an MRI???

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
MS would have distinctive findings on examination.
That can be ruled out.
MRI I still recommend if a pinched nerve is suspected, of the spinal level it is presumed to be at...as the degree of disease can not be fully assessed otherwise. If it is not considered to be disc problems, then you don't need MRI
If your reflexes are normal, I would not consider MS.
If you have hyper reflexia, then an MRI of the brain would need to be done.
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience: Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
I am board certified in integrative medicine, internal medicine, trained in functional medicine and homeopathy, etc. I am here daily: use my request link as needed and “for Dr. Thomas” in the question title. Give that link to friends, family, associates, etc. Find me as needed for correct, safe and accurate answers.