Dr.Israr
Dr.Israr, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS
29944350

Hi there, I was hoping you could help me with a question.

Customer Question

Hi there,
I was hoping you could help me with a question. I am female, aged 31
After unrinating when out last night, I noticed a small piece of what looked like red thread (from clothing) in the clear urine. It was folded in half. It was not dissolving or transparent as I would have expected mucous or blood to be. I was wearing a wool skirt which from time to time collects threads from other clothes. Examining the skirt later I found both a short red and pink thread stuck to it, as well as other colours
I looked online and became anxious, reading that this could be a sign of blood in urine.
I also recently switched my birth control pill, on Wednesday (the thread happened Friday) from Microlite to Ovranette. My period would usually be due Saturday, so I suppose if there was blood this could be a 'breakthrough' bleed from switching from one pill to another.
I am not sure what to do next. I feel silly in one way as I really believe it may just have been from clothing, as it was a single fibre. I feel maybe I should wait and see if there is any further sign of red fibre or mucous to know if it is in fact bleeding.
If this was a sign of something serious, would there be more than just one fibre, and would I see at least traces of actual liquid blood?
Your help is much appreciated
Expert:  Dr.Israr replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for using justanswer.
Did u notice it once?
Any history of pain in lower abdomen?
Any burning in urine or vaginal discharge associated?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes just once, no pain or burning with it.

I have no history of pain in lower abdomen.

I am nervous of an sign of problems with kidneys as my grandfather had cancer of the kidney.

Expert:  Dr.Israr replied 2 years ago.
Ok and thanks for your input.
Well there is nothing to worry at all. This is not a sign of any cancer or infection at all. This thread is from clothing. Such thread is not a sign of any disease. Thanks and best wishes
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you Doctor.

Is it safe to assume if this does not happen again, that I need not see a doctor over this?

Expert:  Dr.Israr replied 2 years ago.
Yes there is no need to see a doctor for this at all. Please stop worrying about this. It currently does not fit with any disease. However if you notice such threads repeatedly, then you can see your GP. No need at the moment. Thanks and prayers are your way.