Dr. Robert
Dr. Robert, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician
8493425

Hello, my four year old son has been suffering from diarrhea

Customer Question

Hello, my four year old son has been suffering from diarrhea and sickness for the past two weeks. No fever, no cold or flu, just very very loose stools and occasional sickness. Our GP examined his tummy but couldn't detect anything wrong, so advised to get a stool sample tested, which we have handed in and now I am waiting for the results. In the meantime I would like to have an idea of what it could be: food poisoning? I don't think it's contagious, none of us in the family has had it.
Thanks,
Giovanna
Expert:  Dr. Robert replied 2 years ago.
Dear customer
Welcome to justanswer.com and thank you for your question.
I'm so sorry to hear of your son's discomfort due to diarrhea.I will do whatever I can to help answer your questions
Yes,the symptoms of diarrhea & loose stools you have described about your four year old son is most probably due to food poisoning.
Diarrhea is the body's way of ridding itself of germs, and most episodes last a few days to a week.
The condition is medically called as gastroenteritis what you call as stomach flu. Gastroenteritis is the irritation and inflammation of the digestive tract.
Gastroenteritis is usually caused by a virus, but it can be caused by bacteria or a parasite.
Its most common causes are:Food poisoning, viral infections, food allergies, and intestinal parasites or bacterial infections.This may last from several days to several weeks and a prescription medication may be required.
Its possible & very common that only children are affected in the family (depending upon immunity) even if they have the same diet as of their other adult family members.
Non-infectious causes of acute diarrhea are uncommon in children.
Stool culture & sensitivity test is the best test which you have already had to know the exact causative organism & then medications will be prescribed accordingly.
Antibiotics need to be given if a bacterial infection is confirmed.
Hope this helped.
My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.
Thank you *****
Dr. Robert