Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

dental question can a infection in teeth be that bad that

dental question
can a infection in teeth be that bad that you would require antibiotics for 4 weeks i had first pat of a root canal done a 2 weeks ago and i have suffered excruiating pain since i had an infection prior to the root canal i have had in total now 4 courses of antibiotic and feel that it is something to do with the root canal can you help
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 2 years ago.
Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing internist. Excellent service is my goal.
still need help?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

what further information do u want

Yes, it absolutely can
sometimes prolonged antibiotics are required to take care of a deep infection
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

do you have to have an xray to clarify if there are no other visable symptoms

No
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

would you get extreme pain from having the first part of a root canal done if it was not packed appropriately

yes that could happen
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

so therefore would you agree that this may be the cause of the pain and not an infection at all as when i had an infection in the past my mouth would of been very swollen and the antibiotics would have worked after the first course

I would say that that is possible
without knowing the full case I can't say for sure but I can say it is possible
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

have you came across this before its just that my dentist insists its an infection however the pain started straight after my first part of root canal treatment i would just like something concrete where i could suggest to my dentist that it may be the root canal as she wont finish the root canal process untill im pain free however i feel my pain is nothing to do with an infection

I have encountered this before.
it is a form of inflammation in the socket.
I would ask about that. Ask if it could possible be socket irritation
please don't forget a positive rating. I appreciate it
I appreciate the excellent rating.

I would be happy to help you in the future. Just ask for feedback. Thank you. :) Dr. Phil in your question opening or bookmark this page http://www.justanswer.co.uk/medical/expert-irondoc/

I greatly appreciate a positive rating in the customer satisfaction survey that you will receive via email. It is important for me to get your feedback. Thank you. :)