Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Further to my question about eye twitching. I went to my gp

Customer Question

Further to my question about eye twitching. I went to my gp twice who examined me and said it's just stress and tiredness. I then started to get a twitching in my left cheek too so I went back and again was told its nothing. I'm still waking up with this twitch, it's driving me mad but my gp isn't interested but I'm really worried I have a brain stem tumour?
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
Are you having any other symptoms beyond this twitching?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi no other symptoms at all. I take bisoprolol 2.5mg daily for svt but I have done this for the last 2 years.
Thank you for the additional information.

If you are having no other symptoms and you have a normal examination, it would be extremely unusual for the twitching to be due to any serious condition, and particularly not a brain stem tumour.

I reviewed your prior question and notice that you have had significant recent family and work stress, and that could easily cause the twitching that you have been experiencing. At this point, it would be reasonable to perform general interventions to help ease stress, such as regular aerobic exercises and self-relaxation techniques, such as yoga or controlled breathing exercises.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The only other thing I can feel is that side of my face (the left) feels stretched if that makes sense, like the muscle is tense.
Yes I have had a lot of stress, the twitch started at the beginning of September which coincided with some major family stress so I went for an eye exam and was prescribed glasses to wear for computer use (I use the computer for 7-8 hours per day, 7 days per week).
Prior to the twitch my left eye would water for about an hour after waking which made it difficult to put make up on for work.
Why is it just the left side though? I keep feeling like I'm having a stroke.
Stress can frequently cause symptoms that only affect one side of the body.

If you were having a stroke, there would typically be other findings on exam.
My goal is to provide you with excellent service and a complete answer. If you desire any further information, please let me know.
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience: Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi again,
My muscle twitching has continued, it's still in my eye, face and left calf muscle.
My GP reluctantly referred me to an endocrinologist who examined me thoroughly and said that he feels it's stress and nothing more. He didn't see any reason to send me for any scans.
I find it hard to believe that stress can be causing this as it feels so uncomfortable..I have read about MS and ALS starting with muscle twitching. Do you think I should be having investigations for these?
Kind regards,
Vicky.
It is fairly common for stress to cause symptoms of such severity. Whether it would be of value to pursue evaluation for any neurologic condition would depend upon the findings on neurologic exam.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The specialist I saw is a professor and he did a full neurological physical exam which he said was completely normal save for some hyperactivity of reflex in my right knee.
He said that there was no point whatsoever sending me for a brain scan/MRI as he felt it would just feed my anxiety.
My eye has been twitching daily for 3 months now and my leg and face the past week, I am terrified it's something serious and I am going to leave my 5 kids without a mother?
I understand that you are terrified, but your doctor has done the correct evaluation. Without being able to perform an evaluation, I would not be able to gainsay the recommendation of your doctor.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
You have already rated positive on this post.
We are only paid we we receive a positive rating.
Please find me by request [for Dr. Thomas only], in medical, using a long request lock.
I am here daily.