Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

Hello, I am a 52 year old very healthy woman with a problem

Customer Question

Hello, I am a 52 year old very healthy woman with a problem that has arisen that is not worth bothering a doctor - but is increasingly becoming an irritant.
In the past 3 weeks - every day, my lips have become extremely dry, the inside of my mouth very dry - to the point of feeling like I need water. My lips are extremely cracked and the inside of my mouth feels a bit raw and a little swollen - but only around the lips area. I have been using (no, overusing) the medicated Blistex that I have always used in the past - but have gone through an entire tube in the past 3 weeks.
I have not changed my diet at all, don't smoke, only a couple of glasses of wine on the weekend and my teeth and gums are healthy. I last had a dental cleaning in August and there was nothing suspicious then.
The only thing that has changed - I suspect coincidentally, is that almost 4 weeks ago, I moved back to Manchester, UK area from Melbourne Australia after living there for 4 years. Unless it's a lack of sun affecting this, I'm stumped.
I feel completely fine otherwise.
Any idea what I can do?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi. Could you post a photo on this page?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Here you go. Tried to find one without a glass of wine in my hand or shopping bags.

I look forward to your comments.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK but so far there's no photo link here
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Thanks. It looks like a condition called cheilitis which is a kind of eczema of the lips. Believe it or not, your lip balm is not treating it but actually worsening it right now. What you need to do is stop that and apply a thin layer of over the counter cortisone cream three times a day for about a week. That should take care of it but, if not, have a doctor take a look since you might need a prescription strength cortisone cream
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Excellent! Thanks very much for your assistance. I'll see the Doc if it doesn't help.

Have a great weekend!

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
My pleasure but let me know how it goes and please remember to rate my service to you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I'll come back to you sometime later next week - travelling for business so hopefully this resolves itself during the week.

Thanks again. I love using this type of service - sure beats sitting in the GP's office with a thousand sick people!

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Look forward to hearing from you again
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Dr. Chip

The hydrocortisone has done the trick! It was tough getting anyone to dispense that to me as they said it needed to be on the body, not face however, I was in Dublin for work, went to a Chemist and they gave it straight away.

Thank you for your assistance!
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
My pleasure--call on me any time