Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

My Daughter age 40, had a fit whilst 3 months pregnant. She

My Daughter age 40, had a fit whilst 3 months pregnant. She had had two prior miscarriages and almost lost her first born, aged 7 now, at birth. She has had a very stressful 12 months prior to the fit. Last week, her Daughter is now 17 weeks, her husband lost his job and she has had another fit. She has had a MRI scan again which was also clear as were ones earlier this year. She has been banned from driving. There is no history of epilepsy in either side of the family. How do we have this properly assessed and treated so she can drive? We will pay privately?
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 2 years ago.
Dr Uzair :

Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. I shall try my best to assist you while you are corresponding with me.

Dr Uzair :

Which drug is she taking for epilepsy?

Dr Uzair :

And when was the last fit?

Customer: Not sure of the drug. The second fit was 5 days ago
Dr Uzair :

Alright, during the fit did she loose consciousness?

Dr Uzair :

And for how long?

Customer: No
Dr Uzair :

Okay, did she have contractions of the muscles of her body, flexing and extending them?

Customer: Yes
Dr Uzair :

How long did the fit last?

Customer: I have to go out can we continue later please?
Dr Uzair :

Yes, of course we can. Reply back on this thread and let me approximately when you'd want to continue?

Customer: Hello
Customer: sorry about the delay, can we now continue?
Dr Uzair :

Yes. We can.

Dr Uzair :

How long did her last fit last?

Customer: Approximately 2 minutes
Customer: No I am informed it was less than a minute, it just seemed longer as it was the first time her husband had witnessed one
Dr Uzair :

Alright, did she have a pre seizure aura, or a feeling of being unwell?

Dr Uzair :

Are you there?

Dr Uzair :

The system shows that you are offline.

Customer: No
Dr Uzair :

Customer: Hello, sorry for the delays - I have been trying to contact her but no luck.
Dr Uzair :

I understand, actually there are a lot of questions that need to be asked before one can begin at diagnosing a seizure disorder.

Dr Uzair :

A thorough history is mandatory, a face to face evaluation and a physical examination is also warranted before one can order investigations.

Dr Uzair :

I feel that your daughter's case has not be evaluated as a seizure disorder deserves to be evaluated. MRIs only provide limited information.

Dr Uzair :

She does require a complete Neurological evaluation as well as an Electroencephalogram (EEG) and a CT scan or a SPECT.

Dr Uzair :

These are the least of investigations required and the doctor might add a few more blood tests to rule out metabolic causes of seizures.

Dr Uzair :

Since she is on thyroid replacement therapy, her thyroid functions tests will also be required.

Dr Uzair :

So, it is indeed a complex evaluation process and should be addressed appropriately by a dedicated Neurologist.

Customer: I should add she drinks too much white wine every day - not when she was pregnant - and has a very sweet tooth and never regained her normal weight after her first pregnancy
Dr Uzair :

Well, that can be due to her thyroid.

Dr Uzair :

Stress and depression are linked with increase intake of alcohol and other also can cause polyphagia (eating too much) or gaining weight and these are all linked with seizures.

Customer: So can you recommend a neurologist?
Dr Uzair :

Specially stress and depression, in her case, she has had 2 miscarriages and might also be suffering from post traumatic stress disroder.

Dr Uzair :

disorder*

Dr Uzair :

Well, it is actually against the site policy to recommend names, however, when looking for a competent Neurologist, one should always look in a Teaching hospital affiliated with a medical school.

Customer: Such as?
Dr Uzair :

What area are you in?

Customer: She is in Hampshire- I will pay for private treatment as we need urgent attention
Dr Uzair :

Well, you might want to look up the Neurologist in the Southampton General Hospital.

Customer: Ok, many thanks.
Dr Uzair :

They have a dedicated Epilepsy department and deliver specialized care.

Dr Uzair :

I believe this is there contact email address.

Dr Uzair :

Hope this helps.
If you do not have any more queries, please do leave a positive rating for the service.

Dr Uzair :

Best wishes.

Customer: Thank you very much
Dr Uzair :

Pleasure to be of service.