Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Hi there my husband had bacteria mennigitus 20th October he

Hi there my husband had bacteria mennigitus 20th October he loss the use of walking and mobillaty with his hands was in hospital for 16 days he's was sent to a rebillation home for a week he is home now had a doctor out last Monday for a quick check up and cause of the pain in his legs and arm wen he has the pain he can't sit still rubbing his leg and arm night time is worst. He has started to walk with a Zimmer and he is doing very well when doc came out he said to continue with paracetable and give Him codine but it dose nt seem to touch the pain also he is still a bit flemmy and when he does a big cough and brings flemmy stuff(mucus) there is a very small amount of blood mixed with it he is 62 this is the 3rd time in 33 months the last one was tthe worst. I am writing to you as I need some sleep and my husband needs some relief medication . He's now on as follows: Amlodipine 5mg, bisoprolol 2.5mg, paracetamol, codeine 30mg, co-amoxiclaiv 500mg, aspirin, simvastatin 20mg, amitriptyline 50mg.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
We are unable to prescribe medicines through this service.
We can only provide information in response to questions.
Are you seeking a prescription or information about the condition?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Not a prescription, but something we could ask for from our doctor if needs be, and to just check that the symptoms he has are normal?Or advice on what I can do to Help him.I forgot to add he had septecimeia ths time as well.
Very good.

Although we do not consider any symptoms that are present after a meningitis infection to be normal, it is common for there to be muscular pain in this setting. Muscular pain can occur after any illness that causes weakness of the muscles that require rehab and strengthening. Since the muscles are weakened, the exercises for rehab and strengthening is placing extra strain on the muscles, which can cause the pain that he is experiencing.

It is also possible to develop the phlegm that you describe related to the limitation in activity that he has experienced. When someone loses mobility, they typically do not take good deep breaths and poorly clear the normal lung mucus, so that it accumulates and becomes the phlegm that you notice. A small amount of blood after coughing up phlegm typically is from a small blood vessel that bursts from the pressure of the cough. There is also an increased risk of pneumonia when someone has limited mobility, although it does not sound like he is even approaching that level of a problem.

As for relief of the pain, there are a couple of options. If the codeine is not effective, the usual next step is to use a stronger opiate, such as hydrocodone. It also will frequently help to use a medicine that works by suppressing the firing of the nerves carrying the pain message. The amitriptyline that he is taking may help by this mechanism, but if it is not effective, it may be better to use certain anti-seizure medicines that have been shown to help ease this type of pain. Commonly used medicines include gabapentin and pregabalin.

For the cough and phlegm, it may help to take a medicine that thins the mucus, such as guaifenesin, which is available over the counter in a variety of products, such as Mucinex and Robitussin. In the long-term, his gradually increasing activity levels will be the best intervention to help clear the phlegm.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you very much for your answer, this helps a lot.
You are most welcome. I am glad I could be of assistance. I hope that he gets the rest of the way better soon.

If I have answered all your questions, please remember to provide a positive rating so that I am credited for assisting you.