Dr. Charogat
Dr. Charogat, Doctor
Experience:  Licensed in both NYS and NJ with experience in surgery and medicine.
16403115

My French doctor has prescribed valaciclovir, asking the question

Customer Question

My French doctor has prescribed valaciclovir, asking the question if my partner has herpes, to which the answer is no. Is it possible that having a swollen vulvar with spots on could be something to do with thrush which I have recently had. I am 70 and only resumed sexual relations a very short while ago after an absence of about 8/9 years.
Expert:  Dr. Charogat replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Charogat :

Hi, and thank you for coming here with your question.

Dr. Charogat :

Can you describe the spots? What color are they? Are they moist or dry? Are they raised or flat?

Customer:

All I could see were puss like spots. The whole area has been very sore, and until I started the anti biotics spending a penny was like razor blades, that is now better. I have also realised that I have piles!!!

Dr. Charogat :

It sounds to me like it can definitely be herpes.

Dr. Charogat :

The thought that you have that it may be a yeast infection is a good one, in light of the fact that you recently finished antibiotics -- but yeast infections do not usually get puss on them. They are usually more red (think of a diaper rash).

Customer:

How on earth has this been contracted, is it something that could lie dormant for years?

Dr. Charogat :

It is something that can lie dormant for years. In you OR in your partner.

Dr. Charogat :

Did your doctor look at the lesions or just prescribed this based on your description?

Customer:

Does this mean that it will reoccur if we resume sexual relations in say a couple of weeks time?

Customer:

Doctor did look at the lesions.

Dr. Charogat :

Sexual relations is not what makes it come out. Herpes is a VERY common infection, and went there is no rash people have sexual relations all the time without the rash recurring.

Customer:

As this took some while to get sorted, roughly how long does it take to clear up and thank you for your help.

Dr. Charogat :

Sometimes stress can bring it out as well. I don't know how you are feeling about becoming intimate again, but if you were very anxious about it then this could have happned.

Dr. Charogat :

Also, as I said, it is possible that your partner carries the virus without even knowing it.

Dr. Charogat :

You should see it resolving (especially with medication) within the week.

Dr. Charogat :

Have you started the valcyclovir yet? How many days have you taken it?

Dr. Charogat :

If you don't treat it then symptoms can last from 2-4 weeks

Customer:

Have been taking valcyclovir for two whole days now and have been prescribed 7 days worth with 5 days of anti biotics.

Dr. Charogat :

You would do well to also add a probiotic (or eat live culture yogurt) to prevent a yeast infection from developing.

Customer:

Will do. I think that satisfies me, always difficult when you are communicating in another language (I live in France). Thank you for your help.

Dr. Charogat :

Of course you can always continue this conversation (with no extra charge) even after you've paid. It will be more similar to an email than a chat, but I'll be happy to answer anything else.

Dr. Charogat, Doctor
Experience: Licensed in both NYS and NJ with experience in surgery and medicine.