Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

Just been diagnosed with Lentigo Maligna Melanoma in a mole

Just been diagnosed with Lentigo Maligna Melanoma in a mole on the face - the invasion is "in situ" and the growth phase "radial" No signs of metastasis etc - had an urgent referral - how quickly should this mole be removed ? Could the cancer become invasive within the next few days ? The mole is itching and "drawing" at times - Due to be seen by dermatologist in a week. I need to know if I should go private and get mole removed immediately (I am not a rich person !) David
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.
Hello David,
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for this question
In situ is very little risk over the next few days.
I wouldn't wait more than a couple weeks though
It needs taken care of ASAP but not tomorrow ASAP
more like 2 weeks ASAP
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience: GP in the United States
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What is the difference between lentigo maligna and lentigo maligna melanoma ? Can my cancer be in situ and be a melanoma ? When I had the biopsy on 6 November I was stage 0 (Tis) how quickly can the next stage develop ?
Lentigo maligna (LM) is a subtype of melanoma in situ, and it has a slight female preponderance. Lentigo maligna melanoma (LMM) is 1 of the 4 main subtypes of invasive melanoma and represents 5-15% of cases.