Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I had bronchitis in March this year and at times I have had

I had bronchitis in March this year and at times I have had chest pains with a cough bringing up phlegm. At the end of May, I went to A and E and they said it was mucus in my alveoli. This went away in July and came back in September until the end of October. I have been clear for three weeks and now it is back. Could it be mucus in the alveoli still or not..?
Many thanks,
61 year old woman
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hi--is your phlegm clear? Any fever? Did you have a chest x-ray at any point?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
White, clear mucus and I had a chest X-ray in May. No fever.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK Ruth. Any fever now? Any wheezing?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No fever and I am not aware of any wheezing.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Just one more question Ruth--any problem with heartburn or indigestion?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have had heartburn and indigestion but not aware of it recently unless it is the occasional stabbing chest pain that I can't identify.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK We can continue after this if you'd like Ruth, but here are my thoughts. This may be a gastric reflux problem with a kind of chemical bronchitis and I'd try you on either Zantac or Prilosec daily for two weeks to see if that clears it up. Of course this could be a return of the bronchitis you had before and you might need antibiotics for that. Finally it could be an allergy problem and antihistamines would help with that. I suggest you see your doctor again and discuss all those possibilities with him
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Brilliant. Thank you. I feel much better because I have been concerned about lung cancer, asbestosis and emphysema..!
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
No, none of those Ruth. Let me know how it goes and please remember to rate my service to you