DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

Hi, my 2 and a half year old appears to have a small lump underneath

Hi, my 2 and a half year old appears to have a small lump underneath the foreskin of his penis, near the top to one side. It looks unusual to me and in reading online some people were advising of similar instances and that it may be smegma or a cyst, and to retract the foreskin. Other sites were saying that in no circumstance should you ever retract foreskin as it could lead to bleeding or real damage. But yet I don't want to leave it in case it's an infection. I am very concerned as to what to do, I wouldn't even trust my GP as previous articles said not to listen to GPs or other health professionals as it's not taught in medical school! Please help
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
The foreskin should be retracted and cleaned underneath.
This is common hygiene
Has this child seen a doctor?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No Should I bring him my GP asap? Why would some sites like babycenter.org say not to retract under any circumstances? They said that you should only clean what you see, and that the foreskin might be fused to the tip of the penis and it would similar to taking the nail off your finger to clean underneath!
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
Yes
It sounds like you are not getting instruction, and he should have been seeing a doctor since birth.
The doctor can tell of there is a problem with the foreskin.
If it does not retract naturally of course you should not force it.
OK, so that is an initial answer….
Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
I am board certified in integrative medicine, internal medicine, trained in functional medicine and homeopathy, etc. I am here daily: use my request link as needed and “for Dr. Thomas” in the question title. Give that link to friends, family, associates, etc. Find me as needed for correct, safe and accurate answers.